2015, Motorsports year! My (hopeful) resolutions

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
Huzer

2015, Motorsports year! My (hopeful) resolutions

Postby Huzer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14

Well, this year, I WILL make it to the track.

So far, I have 2 scheduled events that definitely will have me at a track. One as a spectator, one as a participant. A coworker and I are heading to the Rolex 24 at the end of the month at Daytona. I know that it's basically a big party that happens to have a race, but it should be fun, and will be my first track visit for the year. I'm looking forward to walking through the garage area, pits, etc, which our tickets give us access to.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2015/Rolex-24-At-Daytona/Rolex-24-At-Daytona.aspx

The second event scheduled is the ST Octane Academy, which is open to the original owner/purchaser of either a Focus ST or Fiesta ST for within one calendar year of purchase of the vehicle. My trip is scheduled for May 1/2. The Academy is roughly 20/80 split classroom/track time. Should be fun, and if I don't make it to a track event prior to this, it'll be both my first AutoX type event, and first track time. I'm actually pretty excited for this one, it'll be cool to be able to beat up on some FiSTs and FoSTs.

http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/register-now.html

My plan is also to get the Miata to a track day event during the year, and I may take the ST to an Autox event. If I make 2 track days, then I'm eligible for Mazda Motorsports discount parts, so that's the plan, to make at least 2 events.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14

maybe I need to make that my resolution too.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer

You should. I suppose if I actually intend on doing this, I should pick up a helmet! I need to get a hockey helmet to help with some on ice activities for my son, so might as well add another to the collection!

I'm pretty excited. I think I'll finally have the Miata in good mechanical order come spring for what I want to accomplish for the next couple of years. I'm excited about the Octane Academy too, I've read nothing but good reviews about it, other than the Hoonigan Reception being a waste of time.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14

Huzer wrote:Well, this year, I WILL make it to the track.

I will hold you to that!

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14

Huzer wrote: Hoonigan Reception being a waste of time.

I don't know if it's cuz i'm old, but I hate this word. WTF .... Hoon?!? /rant

Huzer

Saul_Good wrote:I don't know if it's cuz i'm old, but I hate this word. WTF .... Hoon?!? /rant

I'm not a fan of it either. I may skip the reception and drive in on Friday, then leave after the track event on Saturday. The only "good" thing about the reception is meeting up with people that you'll be on track with the next day. I haven't decided yet. I'd pretend I'd road trip the Miata, but that sounds painful for that far a drive. Haha!

The good thing about weekday track days this year is that with work moving to 100% WFH, I'll be able to get out more easily, and just shift my hours for that day.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14

See Hoonigan associated with Ken Block a lot. I wouldn't let the title of the reception affect your decision. I'd go, but I'm a real social butterfly.:huh:

Huzer

I think people attending the reception expected "more". It's really just some premade sandwiches and hanging around the main gift shop/lobby area. It isn't an insider tour of Block's shop or anything. I'll most likely go, but if schedule interferes, I won't be terrible upset if I don't make it for that.

I'm excited about day 2. Apparently they've got GoPros attached to all of the cars so you get to have video of all of your runs.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14

Sadly I won't be getting any track time this year or the next couple. I don't think it's worth it in a stock Veloster and I think my Miata might fall apart if I try to track it, lol. Whatever I replace the Veloster with in a couple years will definitely be track capable though.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

coloskydiver

Postby coloskydiver » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14

Any thoughts of hitting up the Flying Miata Summer Camp? I am going to try to make it this year even though I won't be bring a Miata. My wife and I made three years in a row and have made some good friends and would be nice to get some CMZC members out there as well. I have a friend I met out there the first year and who was hooked on doing a V8 Miata and his is just getting done. We are planning one caravaning up there if anyone is in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 Nissan Nismo Frontier-Supercharged- SOLD
2006 Speed 6- SOLD
2008 Scion Xd- SOLD
1990 Miata- SuperCharged 331 Fuel Injected Small Block Ford V8-SOLD
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty- Current
2014 Factory Five 818S- In Progress

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14

coloskydiver wrote:Any thoughts of hitting up the Flying Miata Summer Camp? I am going to try to make it this year even though I won't be bring a Miata. My wife and I made three years in a row and have made some good friends and would be nice to get some CMZC members out there as well. I have a friend I met out there the first year and who was hooked on doing a V8 Miata and his is just getting done. We are planning one caravaning up there if anyone is in.

I'd like to. Would probably have to bring the wife and kiddo along, I'm not sure I could manage 3 solo trips this year without getting some flak. I'll plant the bug now, though.

coloskydiver

Postby coloskydiver » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:14

I plan on bringing the wife and kid. Just saying.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 Nissan Nismo Frontier-Supercharged- SOLD
2006 Speed 6- SOLD
2008 Scion Xd- SOLD
1990 Miata- SuperCharged 331 Fuel Injected Small Block Ford V8-SOLD
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty- Current
2014 Factory Five 818S- In Progress

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:14

I don't think I'll be taking my rig to the track anytime soon, but I'm pretty sure my stock shocks are in need of some replacements. That might be my 2015 resolution.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:14

Two days at Daytona, and the track looks mighty fun. Interesting seeing Miatas classed with Caymans and Civics.

Looking forward to working on the little car when I get home.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:14

1 low quality track pic until I have time to edit any and upload them. I'm sure people would rather see 2 Miatas rather than Ferraris, Porsches, and Astons.

Return to “Lounge”