What's everyone's significant other think of their car hobby?

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

Wait, you got rid of the Golf already? After all the raving you did about it?
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

My wife has gotten used to my hobby over the years (11). I just tell her it is a better addiction than drugs or alcohol. Now she even comes to car shows with my now and again.

She really likes that I can fix her car instead of having to take it to a shop.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

erod550 wrote:Wait, you got rid of the Golf already? After all the raving you did about it?

Don't rub it in! Honestly, that's the first car I've ever sold that I had a serious case of "seller's remorse" about... So much so, that I actually tried to get it back from the dealer a couple days later (long story). The wife loved the Golf R and so did I.... Probably the best "everything" car I've ever had. I think Top Gear repeatedly referred to the regular VW GTI as "all things to all men" and that's a very accurate description for the R as well....

I made a thread about it on another forum a while back listing my reasoning & comparisons. Feel free to take a peek:

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71901

EDIT: ^^^Another factor that wasn't mentioned in that thread is hazards of my job.... Many people may not understand this, but in my profession, injuries are commonplace. I have 2 friends of mine that have undergone knee surgery & two more that have had hip surgery as a result of getting injured on the job- and all 4 of them are in their 20's or 30's.... So, having only a stable full of manual cars can be a bit of a risk in case something goes wrong... in other words, having an automatic is nice to be able to fall back on. Although if and when VW releases the MK7 Golf R DSG in the USA, don't be shocked if one eventually finds itself in my garage. :)
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

roninsoldier83 wrote:Don't rub it in! Honestly, that's the first car I've ever sold that I had a serious case of "seller's remorse" about... So much so, that I actually tried to get it back from the dealer a couple days later (long story). The wife loved the Golf R and so did I.... Probably the best "everything" car I've ever had. I think Top Gear repeatedly referred to the regular VW GTI as "all things to all men" and that's a very accurate description for the R as well....

I made a thread about it on another forum a while back listing my reasoning & comparisons. Feel free to take a peek:

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71901

EDIT: ^^^Another factor that wasn't mentioned in that thread is hazards of my job.... Many people may not understand this, but in my profession, injuries are commonplace. I have 2 friends of mine that have undergone knee surgery & two more that have had hip surgery as a result of getting injured on the job- and all 4 of them are in their 20's or 30's.... So, having only a stable full of manual cars can be a bit of a risk in case something goes wrong... in other words, having an automatic is nice to be able to fall back on. Although if and when VW releases the MK7 Golf R DSG in the USA, don't be shocked if one eventually finds itself in my garage. :)

My boss has a G37X and really likes it

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:My boss has a G37X and really likes it

It's not a bad car by any means. I actually like it just fine. :)

But, while I like my G37x, I loved my Golf R; there's a pretty big difference between the two.... but the G37x suits its purpose just fine. It just would have been better if Infiniti had spent a bit more focus on Sport and a little less on appeasing the masses.

Although it's a bummer that the G37x doesn't come with a "real" variation of the Sport package.... you can get a G37xS (AWD Sport package), but the only real changes are:

-18" wheels & tires (vs 17" wheels)
-Paddle shifters
-Sport seats w/more bolstering (<----Those actually would have been nice)
-Slightly revised body kit

If differs pretty drastically from the RWD G37S, which gets the body kit, sport seats, paddle shifters and the following:

-Also on 18" wheels, but with summer tires
-Quicker steering rack ratio
-Larger brakes all around
-Limited slip differential
-Sport suspension package (higher spring rates, dampers, bars ect)

I actually might have considered the G37xS if for nothing more than the slightly shorter tire side-wall (18" vs 17" wheels) and sport seats... but it's a $1250 package and in order to get it, you also have to get the Navigation Package ($1850)... which, since I don't really use Nav, $3100 is a large chunk of change for ever-so-slight differences that I'm likely to not even feel (other than seat comfort & gimmicky paddle shifters).

If I lived someplace where it didn't snow and was looking at the RWD G37, the Sport package (G37S) would have been a no-brainer, as there's actually a marked difference in the way the car behaves.
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14

One thing I don't like about the G37x is sitting in the back seat. I'm only 6' (long torso) and I have to lean forward or I hit my head.

My Car Blog

boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:90!!!!??? That's a lot of issues to deal with!

yep maintenance platoon for a field artillery batalion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

Return to “Lounge”