Man of Steel

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:14

It's probably way too much reading, but if anyone is interested in it
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=comparing-stm-comics

It is a comparison of variations of Superman throughout the years, and mostly a comparison of the Chris Reeves film vs Comics. It was definitely his own interpretation, BUT, the comics are even better. That is what made MOS so exciting for me, is that it really let loose with what the character has done in other iterations.

coloskydiver

Postby coloskydiver » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:14

I am also a big Superman fan and am planning on seeing it on Sunday morning. I was also a big Smallville fan. I like the perspective a young Clark Kent and his journey to become Superman. I also really like the twist with Lex Luther and Clark being best friends. They did get a little cheesey but was still a big fan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 Nissan Nismo Frontier-Supercharged- SOLD
2006 Speed 6- SOLD
2008 Scion Xd- SOLD
1990 Miata- SuperCharged 331 Fuel Injected Small Block Ford V8-SOLD
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty- Current
2014 Factory Five 818S- In Progress

Operator

Postby Operator » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:14

I was a Marvel and Image fan, so my knowledge on Supes beyond him on the screen is little. So I guess that's why the original is the basis for my canon. Thanks for the link, good read.
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:14

Well, if you liked dark knight then you'd like MOS. Its easy to forget the Donner films when you are watching it, I will say that much.

Operator

Postby Operator » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:14

WOW, how many thousands upon thousands of people died in Smallville and Metropolis?!?
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:14

Operator wrote:WOW, how many thousands upon thousands of people died in Smallville and Metropolis?!?

Haha. Not many, if any, in smallville. The world engine killed a ton though. Thought it was a cool effect though

Operator

Postby Operator » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:14

Whatttt, at least double digits in Smallville. Town will never be the same.
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14

Operator wrote:Whatttt, at least double digits in Smallville. Town will never be the same.

In all fairness, Earth just found out that aliens exist, look like us, and one of them just saved the planet.... no one will be the same :)

But in Smallville, maybe 1 person died... it's not like anybody shops at Sears or eats at IHOP haha!
SPOILERS

Sounds like you didn't care for the film. Wife and I saw it again this weekend, both liked the story a lot. The action scenes at the end seem to have dragged out a bit, despite not being very long in actual time. I think it was because the awkward "he saved us" pause, then back to fighting zod... didn't flow right. Was still really good. I'm truly shocked at some of the comments I've read about the film though, as people are quite polarized if they are hung on the Reeve's movies. I seriously read a comment that someone was complaining that there was no "save a kitten from a tree" moment... holy crap. Does show that people have a huge belief system tied to Superman though, despite it being a comic character. I'm looking forward the sequel though, as this story was very focused on self-discovery, and was more along the lines of Earth-One or Smallville with Clark learning his place. The ending was good too, shocking, but good... because it gives foundation for why Superman will never do it again... (Although he does kill Doomsday). Donner-fans hated that part, which is amusing since he does the same in Superman 2, except with no remorse and lots of light-hearted camp lol. I thought they did a good job of showing how little choice he had, and how it affected him. But the very end was excellent, and I think will establish the character with more charm and charisma in the next film... after all- he was "superman" for less than a couple days, and just learned to fly. I was sad to see Hamilton go though :( He's such a huge part of Superman's life in certain comics... was bummed. I was hoping they kept that relationship in MOS, or at least for future movies. Would have been fun to have Hamilton testing his abilities. Hamilton was one of the few friends that Superman had (while in the Superman identity anyway).

Operator

Postby Operator » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14

Who did he kill in Superman II? The other Kryptonians were shown falling in a hole. Sure it may have been to their death, but it's never stated. There is no doubt in MOS. And don't get me wrong, MOS was a legit flick, and I did enjoy it. But the whole, killing someone before they can kill 3 people, have youe death toll you just caused in the rest of the city..... And what there is no Superman sleeper hold?!? I remember in 9th grade watching geniuses make each other pass out. But as I've alluded to my biggest beef was the utter destruction Metropolis went through. I mean at least few thousands died, just from their fight scene, not the World Machine. And how does everyone now not know who Supes is? After Lane wrote her story, and Aliens showed up at her house (and Lane again came with the cops).
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14

Operator wrote:Who did he kill in Superman II? The other Kryptonians were shown falling in a hole. Sure it may have been to their death, but it's never stated. There is no doubt in MOS. And don't get me wrong, MOS was a legit flick, and I did enjoy it. But the whole, killing someone before they can kill 3 people, have youe death toll you just caused in the rest of the city..... And what there is no Superman sleeper hold?!? I remember in 9th grade watching geniuses make each other pass out. But as I've alluded to my biggest beef was the utter destruction Metropolis went through. I mean at least few thousands died, just from their fight scene, not the World Machine. And how does everyone now not know who Supes is? After Lane wrote her story, and Aliens showed up at her house (and Lane again came with the cops).

Yeah, I'm curious how they handle the identity in the future. At Ma-Kent's place, it was a local cop... who may be one of the parents that already knows. Lane's article didn't have pictures though. She did her research afterwards and discovered all the stories of a hero. The initial article was just about the frozen object, and discovering that it, along with her savior, were not from this planet. She never published anything further, so there's no "know" occurrences of him in terms of what the masses know.

The City was hard-core though. Which I liked because that's what happens in the comics. Almost every fight ends in massive destruction lol... then the next comic it will be fine. Constructions workers ftw. All kidding aside, it was a lot of destruction, but in part, I am glad they did it. They needed to show what level of power superman has, and what it would be like if there was such a battle between two beings. We'd be toast..... But Superman is a noob to fighting, and some of his powers at this point. Which is also shown well. This is his first public attempt to help people, and put himself in view of the world.

Notable Easter-Eggs for super-nuts, in case you missed them
Frozen Ship in beginning had 1 pod that was empty... eluding to someone that escaped the crash. Space Ship belonged to Kara Zor-El... AKA Supergirl. This fact was not in the movie, but was published as part of a prequel comic that goes with the movie.

Lexcorp Fuel Truck and Building

Wayne Enterprises Satellite that got destroyed... more interesting is their choice to use the Wayne Enterprises Logo from the Dark Knight Trilogy... fan-boy tears

Return to “Lounge”