Huge egos

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
speedjunkie

Huge egos

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 16, 2012 9:14

So I had an interesting conversation with someone tonight. Well, it was more like an argument lol, on Facebook messaging. He is the guy that organizes Deal's Gap Rotary Rally. I had gotten into it with him back in 2007 about DGRR. In 2006 I went with the group from Raleigh and we didn't stay at the lodge with everyone else, we rented a mansion like they did the year before and we had a BLAST. We planned to do the same thing in 2007 and Phil insisted we stay with the group. I told him to get bent and that he wasn't going to tell me what to do, mainly because only my commanders and supervisors tell me what to do and he is certainly not one of them. So a few of us in our group got into it with him and over time we made up with him.

Well, his ego has once again gotten too large I guess. When I registered for DGRR this year I figured it would motivate me to get the car ready in time. Well, all the motivation in the world will not fix a shitty engine. So near the end of the event I emailed him and asked him if I could get the shirts I paid for since I didn't make it there. I figured it wouldn't be too much to ask to get at least SOMETHING I paid for. Well I guess that IS too much to ask. He said he'd ship one to me if he could find one my size (I paid for an extra shirt actually, so rightfully I should be getting two shirts, but whatever), but I'd have to pay for shipping. Um, OK. I guess I could do that. So I emailed him that I had every intention of being there, even up until the day before, and I told him who built my engine and that was the reason I didn't make it. I also told him that I just wouldn't pay and register from here on out, I'd just show up to the event. Here is our conversation from there on out...

Him
Eric,
I understand your frustration.. But regarding to DGRR, there were other options available for you to either get someone else to pick up the shirts, get someone else to ship the shirt, etc. But also understand that if I were to ship shirts to all the people who didn't make it, I would be wasting huge amounts of time.

So, hope you understand. Again, its few bucks and I'm willing to take my time to pack and ship it. All you have to pay is shipping.
Regarding to your comment about just showing up to DGRR, I hope you are joking.. And next year, this whole T-shirt issues will be VERY VERY Clear from start and there will be no exceptions!! Also, tier pricing system will be placed for those who sign up early vs. late. Its my fault this year for not doing that as I been super busy.

Me
Well I didn't think about it. I could have asked Brian to ship one. If you find a shirt that size I'll pay for shipping. Why would I be joking about just showing up? I obviously wouldn't expect to get food or shirts or discounts on lodging. So what would be the problem?

Him
Its that type of attitude is why I sometimes feel why I waste my time doing this event

Sounds like you have zero value for my time.

Me
Why would you think that? I think you provide a great service to the community. But I'm not going to pay for this anymore if I'm not sure I'm going to make it and if I wouldn't get even a single thing I paid for. Know what I mean?

Him
By the way, event is held at a private property and if you do show up, I will ask you to leave. If you want to hang out outside of the property, that's fine with me.

Me
The only way I'd know I'd make it is if I lived in NC again. What part is private property?

Him
all the gathering

Me
The gathering itself is private property??

Him
Yep!
I'm done with this conversation.
Good luck on your venture

Me
Hmmm that's interesting. I didn't know people meeting together is considered property.
You do know you don't OWN deals gap right?

Him
LOL! You do understand the term private property?
And you do understand Event name doesn't mean we meet at the Deals Gap?

Me
Yeah. I'm not sure how a group of people qualifies as property though.
Are you referring to the lodging? I wasn't planning on staying there anyway.

Him
Did you even looked at the itinerary?
Next time, read up on the event a little and think about it before start asking me questions
again, I'm done with this conversation for now
good night

Me
I glanced at it. Didn't figure it changed much since 2006

This is a common thing with him actually. He thinks just because he puts on this event for everyone that we all owe him our lives, that he is the only one that could do something this magnificent. I have to be honest, if he did NOTHING to put this together and people just showed up on their own to meet, it would still be the same and be just as successful. I guess I know now how he makes his money lol.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14

Definately an intersting conversation.

If I organized something and people had questions, I would take the responsibility for not being clear enough or not making the information stand out enough.

Pike Peak rally when you get your car done? I'm sure the mz3 will be too much for you to keep up with, but you can enjoy it in your own way :D

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14

Eric dramafest:lol: ... I had to go there.

Another reason why we need to get a Rotary Rally going in CO.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:Another reason why we need to get a Rotary Rally going in CO.

Indeed

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14

Thats really interesting. Am I to understand that you paid for registration and food etc. and he just kept the money with no refund? Thats just wrong. I mean can understand a service charge and refund of the balance, but no refund at all sounds weird, especially for what should be a non-profit sort of deal.
However, I have long thought the DGRR is a cool event turned into a money making scheme by selling "registrations", shirts, etc.. I am not opposed to someone who puts on an event like this making a few bucks, but lets face it, its not like he has to go out and rent a facility etc., just have some T-shirts made up and do a little bit of marketing.

Anywho, good luck.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14

Let's have a meet this weekend at Park Meadows. Please send $50 for registration fee for the meet to me please. See you there. :)
Image Image

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14

Oh, and it is on a private property. So, you have to pay to be there even though the property is not mine. :)
Image Image

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu May 17, 2012 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Definately an intersting conversation.

If I organized something and people had questions, I would take the responsibility for not being clear enough or not making the information stand out enough.

Pike Peak rally when you get your car done? I'm sure the mz3 will be too much for you to keep up with, but you can enjoy it in your own way :D

Funny thing is I didn't even ask him a question, other than if he'd send me a shirt and he said he would. So I'm curious what questions I shouldn't have asked him haha. Honestly, I think he was just so flustered and trying to come up with any BS he could just because he was angry and was trying with all his might to be right.

I'd like to drive up Pike's Peak at some point, I guess I could let you follow me up there sometime LOL.

RX-7 Chris wrote:Eric dramafest:lol: ... I had to go there.

Another reason why we need to get a Rotary Rally going in CO.

Yeah drama seems to follow me. I MIGHT bring it on myself sometimes...nah. LOL

Totally agree with the Colorado Rotary Rally. I'd love that. Would we call it CORR, or just CRR? lol

D Walker wrote:Thats really interesting. Am I to understand that you paid for registration and food etc. and he just kept the money with no refund? Thats just wrong. I mean can understand a service charge and refund of the balance, but no refund at all sounds weird, especially for what should be a non-profit sort of deal.
However, I have long thought the DGRR is a cool event turned into a money making scheme by selling "registrations", shirts, etc.. I am not opposed to someone who puts on an event like this making a few bucks, but lets face it, its not like he has to go out and rent a facility etc., just have some T-shirts made up and do a little bit of marketing.

Anywho, good luck.

Exactly, Don. Yeah as far as I know he's always kept whatever money made and he even said he gives out the leftover shirts at the following year's event if there are some left over. I was told he doesn't make any money off this event but I highly doubt that. Even if he did make some money, that's not my concern. My concern is that I and many others don't get even a tad bit of what we paid for the event.

If we do this, I'd like it to be like SevenStock, where shirts and whatever else are sold online or whatever and you don't have to pay to go to the event. I think that's the most honest way to do it and you can't be blamed for making money on the event because no money is collected.

Phil complains about setting up the event and how no one appreciates his time, but he won't stop doing it because he loves being the center of attention and making everyone think he's being crucified for what he does. He's probably the biggest drama queen and diva I know. I would bet that just about anyone can do what he does in setting that up. Like you said, Don, I really doubt it's all that involved.

I`m Batman wrote:Let's have a meet this weekend at Park Meadows. Please send $50 for registration fee for the meet to me please. See you there. :)

I`m Batman wrote:Oh, and it is on a private property. So, you have to pay to be there even though the property is not mine. :)

Oooh count me in! I love for my money to be taken only to get nothing in return! I'll be signing up for DGRR again next year too! lol

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:14

what ever happen to having fun with cars? like driving the shit out of them, blowing them up and having a tech day so people can help rebuild it. then repeating it all over again the next year.

when people start to make clubs up because of popularity or whatever thats when i start to back off. once it becomes a big thing its usually more politics than fun. thats just what i think.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu May 31, 2012 9:14

Yep! From what I hear, most people that go there now just sit around and drink. Man I didn't drive two days to just sit around and BS, I came to drive the road! Sure, I wanna hang out, but I'm down for some driving. That's the whole point of the event.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:14

right? drive 2 days to drive some more when you get there. just sitting around and drinking just doesnt entertain me

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14

oh egos, i thought it was eggos... (embarrassed)....
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:14

^disappointing, isn't it?

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:^disappointing, isn't it?

more than you know sir...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Return to “Lounge”