Un painting. Cleaning. Sand blasting. Powder coating. Alloy wheels

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
alex_n/a

Un painting. Cleaning. Sand blasting. Powder coating. Alloy wheels

Postby alex_n/a » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:14

I bought some used wheels from the junk yard, so far I have removed most of the paint but I can't remove the brake dust on the back. I've tried some cleaners but all they do is remove what plain soapy water would have removed anyway. any suggestions?

I have considerd paying to sand blast them then have them powder coated white. How much would I be spending if I did that? And where is a good cheap place near denver?
89' rx7/ brought back to life/ now sold
96' Honda Civic cx hatchback midori green / stock / daily driver / 39mpg
00' Ford explorer xlt / winter work horse / 218k miles and running like a champ

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14

I would suggest sand blasting. However, my old boss who does powdercoating says he won't sandblast them if they're aluminum because it can weaken the wheel. I think that's what he said anyway, it's been a couple years haha. That would definitely get them clean though.

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14

Mineral spirits/solvent and a plastic-bristle scrub brush.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"][SIZE="3"]2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT[/SIZE][/color]

[SIZE="1"][color="Blue"][color="Blue"]POWERTRAIN: GTX3067R . Cobb AP . Cobb 3-port . Autotech internals . HTP 3" intake . cp-e FMIC . Forge v1 BPV . TWM STS . CNT Turboback
NGK 1-step colder . Bosch 3-bar . cp-e xFlex™ RMM/TMM/PMM . CorkSport recirc tube . Kosmic EGR delete
SUSPENSION: K-Sport coilovers . Whiteline RSB . custom MS6 wheels
EXTERIOR: cp-e TowPlate . DDM Tuning 5000K HID low/fog
INTERIOR: Defi boost gauge/cp-e defroster mount . NRG shift knob . CorkSport LEDs[/color][/color][/SIZE]

alex_n/a

Postby alex_n/a » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:I would suggest sand blasting. However, my old boss who does powdercoating says he won't sandblast them if they're aluminum because it can weaken the wheel. I think that's what he said anyway, it's been a couple years haha. That would definitely get them clean though.

What about for alloy wheels. I believe alloy is a mixture of metals but I'm not sure. Some cleaning bottles mentioned to not us with alluminum or alloy so I wonder if they similar.

Do you have a number or business name where I can reach him at?

AuroraAxela wrote:Mineral spirits/solvent and a plastic-bristle scrub brush.

Thanks I'll look into that.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14

Actually I meant to ask you in my first reply if they were aluminum haha. I'm not sure about alloy wheels.

He's back in North Carolina, but I could give you his number or I could ask him for you. No biggie.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14

There is a place that does powder coating. I forgot the name but ill find it. He does good work. his shop is near Dons shop in Englewood. Good prices. They have a sandblasting guy they work with so they'll send it over to them. I think the price he gives you will include the price of sandblasting.

Pristine Powder Coating
1 (720) 488-5499
3768 South Lipan Street,
Englewood, CO 80110-3454
http://m.google.com/u/m/x893mO

ImageImage

alex_n/a

Postby alex_n/a » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14

Here are some pictures.

taking them home

3 rims have been sprayed with paint remover

a few minutes after being sprayed

wiped off using a steel sponge. no scrubbing needed. some freckles remain. no big deal.

I finally found a good cleaner. I still need to scrub hard but nothing compared to having to hand sand them clean.

here is a picture to compare the before and after

left side of the rim is cleaned normally and the right side has been sanded after cleaning.

I have one rim still uncleaned. after i'm done I will sand all of them.

I emailed the guy Jimmy suggested and he said about 60$ a rim to lightly sand blast them and powder coat them in white. What do you guys think, is it worth it for stock rims? I want to stay conservative and not call any attention to the car, I could probably get some cheap knock off's for what I'm spending but I'd rather go oem then rice-oroni.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14

I think that's a good price. Those rims are a much higher quality than any cheap knock off you could ever find. You would never have to worry about a rim breaking when you hit a bump while driving down the road.

So my opinion would be to stick with those.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

alex_n/a

Postby alex_n/a » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14

That's what I was thinking too. rather get quality than "attractive" rims. I'm glad I have my steelies so I can take my time getting these rims perfect.

another question. when I get tires for them, will the tire shop f**k up the powder coat? if they do will I have a hard time getting them to pay for the repairs. I'm planning on going to peerless and getting new summer tires.

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14

You could ask the person who is going to do the powdercoat if they have a place they recommend the mount the tires.
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:14

Being a tire guy, I have had issues with this in the past. Some wheel-painting companies rush the baking part of the paint process, but this is less of a concern with you and they can take their time with your wheels because your car is not disabled. So a longer bake/cure time for the paint helps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"][SIZE="3"]2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT[/SIZE][/color]

[SIZE="1"][color="Blue"][color="Blue"]POWERTRAIN: GTX3067R . Cobb AP . Cobb 3-port . Autotech internals . HTP 3" intake . cp-e FMIC . Forge v1 BPV . TWM STS . CNT Turboback
NGK 1-step colder . Bosch 3-bar . cp-e xFlex™ RMM/TMM/PMM . CorkSport recirc tube . Kosmic EGR delete
SUSPENSION: K-Sport coilovers . Whiteline RSB . custom MS6 wheels
EXTERIOR: cp-e TowPlate . DDM Tuning 5000K HID low/fog
INTERIOR: Defi boost gauge/cp-e defroster mount . NRG shift knob . CorkSport LEDs[/color][/color][/SIZE]

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:I think that's a good price. Those rims are a much higher quality than any cheap knock off you could ever find. You would never have to worry about a rim breaking when you hit a bump while driving down the road.

So my opinion would be to stick with those.

Agreed on all counts.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14

Please describe a cheap knock off wheel. Most replacement OEM wheels are in the 250+ price range. The mazda 3 wheel is listed at 237, though you can pick one up at 156 http://www.slickcar.com/details/10772-reproduction-wheels.asp

A lot of the Enkies are cheaper.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14

alex_n/a wrote:That's what I was thinking too. rather get quality than "attractive" rims. I'm glad I have my steelies so I can take my time getting these rims perfect.

another question. when I get tires for them, will the tire shop f**k up the powder coat? if they do will I have a hard time getting them to pay for the repairs. I'm planning on going to peerless and getting new summer tires.

The powder coating will be fine. The tire shop shouldn't damage the finish if they know what they are doing. $60 a wheel is a lot less then other places and that includes the sand blasting.

ImageImage

Regulator

Postby Regulator » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14

GR-8 wrote:There is a place that does powder coating. I forgot the name but ill find it. He does good work. his shop is near Dons shop in Englewood. Good prices. They have a sandblasting guy they work with so they'll send it over to them. I think the price he gives you will include the price of sandblasting.

Pristine Powder Coating
1 (720) 488-5499
3768 South Lipan Street,
Englewood, CO 80110-3454
http://m.google.com/u/m/x893mO

This guy did my wheels for $200 (the tires were unmounted from the wheels already). Included sandblasting, black gloss paint, and clearcoat.
[color="Silver"]Old: 2004 Mazda6, 2006 MS6[/color]
New: 2010 EVO X MR - 400hp, 360tq

Return to “Lounge”