What grinds your gears?

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14

"Should of"
Should HAVE or should've
Image Image

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14

erod550 wrote:Different subject, but when people say "and I" when referring to someone else (e.g. Will and I) trying to sound smart when it really should have been "and me." It makes me disproportionately angry. And it's not even that hard. Just take the other person's name out and if you would say I then say and I. If you would just say me, then it should be and me.

I was wondering if she was thinking about Nicole and I the other day.
I was wondering if she was thinking about I the other day.

Second sentence doesn't make sense. Should have been me.

Yes, I know I'm a grammar nazi and I accept it. Most of the time I'm able to keep it to myself at least but the urge to correct is strong.

You sound like my wife, lol. She's a school teacher though.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14

erod550 wrote:Different subject, but when people say "and I" when referring to someone else (e.g. Will and I) trying to sound smart when it really should have been "and me." It makes me disproportionately angry. And it's not even that hard. Just take the other person's name out and if you would say I then say and I. If you would just say me, then it should be and me.

I was wondering if she was thinking about Nicole and I the other day.
I was wondering if she was thinking about I the other day.

Second sentence doesn't make sense. Should have been me.

Yes, I know I'm a grammar nazi and I accept it. Most of the time I'm able to keep it to myself at least but the urge to correct is strong.

I got one for you:

You and I will go to the mall
You will go to the mall
I will go to the mall

You and me will go to the mall
Me will go to the mall

http://www.wikihow.com/Sample/I-and-Me-Usage

millertime

Postby millertime » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:I got one for you:

You and I will go to the mall
You will go to the mall
I will go to the mall

You and me will go to the mall
Me will go to the mall

http://www.wikihow.com/Sample/I-and-Me-Usage

He explains it. In his example "and me" is correct, in yours neither is correct. It's all about sentence structure. In your example, "we" should be used.

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14

females and office thermostats...

Seriously... you wear skimpy clothing and crank the temp to 76 because you are cold. STAHP. We men don't get to wear shorts to work and we actually have blood circulation.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14

Tranny rebuilds that aren't planned.

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14

mOOsE wrote:females and office thermostats...

Seriously... you wear skimpy clothing and crank the temp to 76 because you are cold. STAHP. We men don't get to wear shorts to work and we actually have blood circulation.

This. You can put on a sweater. I can't take off my shirt or pants. Always better to err on the side of too cold than too hot.

Luckily, I don't have to deal with this crap anymore as I work from home and can set my AC to whatever temp I want in my home office.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:14

Air travel. Supposed to leave Wednesday at 5 PM from Newport News, VA. The airport there is small, just a handful of gates. It's so small, in fact, that TSA is done for the day at 8:30 and heads home. Our flight was ultimately canceled at 11:30 or so Wednesday night, after spending 7 hours in the airport. They had finally made aircraft repairs, however, FAA regulations put the flight crew over the time limit for the day. Inbound, the flight was diverted for medical emergency, thus causing the initial delay domino. The worst thing about TSA going home, is that nobody can enter the terminal. I felt horrible for the father/daughter combo, where dad was outside of the closed gate (they had a metal gate separating the concours from the gate area, and the 6 year old was traveling unaccompanied. Given the delay, dad came back to the airport to be with his daughter, and he couldn't get in. So he had to sit on one side of the dividing metal gate talking to his 6 yr old on the other side for 6 hours. Nice.

Frontier initially announced the next available flight is 9:40 PM the following day, the flight is full, and didn't know when we'd get out. That changed a short time later and announced our flight was rebooked for 10 AM on Thursday. Wee!

Thursday morning, we're delayed another couple of hours. Everything in Frontier speak is "10 or 15 minutes", so every time they announced something (boarding, repairs, fueling, updates, it was in "10 or 15 minutes") the terminal either groaned or just starting laughing. We finally get on the plane, only to hear "we haven't fuel the plane yet". We sit on the plane for an hour, then wait for paperwork for (you guessed it) 10 or 15 minutes before we eventually depart.

Now we're finally in the air, cheers erupt, and we're on our way. Then we get to within 50 miles of Denver, hear the airport is closed, circle for an hour, and run out of gas. We get diverted to Pueblo to fuel up. We sat in Pueblo for "10 or 15 minutes" (an hour) to refuel, wait another "10 or 15 minutes" (this time only 30 minutes) for final paperwork, then finally depart. We get into Denver finally at 4 PM yesterday.

What has Frontier offered? Nothing. No travel vouchers, no hotel vouchers, heck, not even free TV on the plane yesterday (TV was broken). No free drinks (they charge for anything except water, now), no snacks, nothin'. I need to fight with them today for hotel/ground travel reimbursement for the initial cancellation. Mechanical/crew issues are not "act of God" (weather) related issues.

My last flight back east also incurred cancellations and several significant delays. Airline travel is really, really getting to unacceptable levels. Grr.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:14

I'm surprised they fueled with the plane full of people. I thought the passengers had to deplane for that.

I haven't flown in two or three years, but I heard it's getting really ridiculous, especially charging for every little thing now.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:I'm surprised they fueled with the plane full of people. I thought the passengers had to deplane for that.

I haven't flown in two or three years, but I heard it's getting really ridiculous, especially charging for every little thing now.

We were so special, we even got to be one the same plane for fuel twice!

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:14

Lol lucky you.

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14

People in airports and people on planes. Does the dirtiest scum around frequent these hot spots? The amount of walmart-looking types, who've smelled like crap...coughed all over...sneezed...been obnoxious, etc. is truly eye opening.

Signed,
Disgusted
one and one makes two, together we are free

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14

Well, you're basically on a flying bus...you're also on the last week (or partial week) of summer vacation for kids/teachers. Once you're into the school year, it's a little bit better in terms of the crowd.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14

I've had the 4 hour flight with a kid kicking the seat the whole time.

I usually plan to not shower for 3-5 days before flying, it helps to gain more arm and leg room. (not really)

My Car Blog

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14

Finally gathering all the necessary fittings for the oil feed line to the turbo only to have the 90 degree fitting break. This car just doesn't want to get back on the road. Its always something with it.

ImageImage

Return to “Lounge”