Community Autox Car

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Community Autox Car

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14

I’ve mentioned in jest to DW but I think it would be cool to motivate DW to fix his Am Trans (words of encouragement, dough nations, helping hands, etc) to get his car drivable and use as a community autox car. I’m sure people want to drive and have fun but their cars aren’t ready, only for trackdays or some other sort of circumstance, so what better than a “CAE autox car”?! It doesn’t have to be spec’d out, and it would allow for some friendly competition amongst members since we’d all be driving the same car.

What do you think? …………………. All with DWs backing of course :D

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14

That's a tough one because the car needs storage year round which isn't cheap, it needs insurance, which isn't cheap, and realistically, it would have to run in different classes by different people and would need tires kept on it. However, I know it can be done as shown by that green BMW 2002 that gets driven by just about everyone it seems (as mentioned in chat by Saul).

Personally, I am for it, but would really want to hammer down details so DW doesn't get hosed. And of course, that he is willing to do it.

I would generally say skate park/dirt jump rules apply. People that provide more, get more. If you don't work on the car, you don't drive the car. Wonder how insurance works on something like that.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14

I like this idea...but who will be held accountable if someone gets injured while driving it? If the car breaks, would the person driving it be accountable for the repairs?

Would like to know more details regarding accountability issues of a community car.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14

Breakage would be attributable to long-term wear on the car more than a single event causing it unless someone did something stupid. So as far as that goes, I'd reason that it should sort of be like an HOA. We all pay some money to make sure the thing stays in good shape.

As far as injury while using,I think that is an insurance thing. I think your car insurance covers you whether you are driving your car or another vehicle. If someone went after the owner of a vehicle that they asked to drive, then that would come down to courts. I could talk to some attorneys here at work and see how that could play out, but personally, if I even got a hint that somebody was like that, I wouldn't allow them near my car.

Also, I assume this is an autocross only thing, so risk of injury, especially while in the car, is minimal.

Also, I'm trying to keep this open to other vehicles. DW's may be one possibility, but there may be others that come available.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14

FDEEZ wrote:I like this idea...but who will be held accountable if someone gets injured while driving it? If the car breaks, would the person driving it be accountable for the repairs?

Would like to know more details regarding accountability issues of a community car.

I don't think anyone will get hurt. The only incident I've heard of at autox was someone having a seizure but that wasn't car related. This idea isn't to build a competetive car. Just a fun reliable car. Take off tires from wherever. People chipping in for napa pads, and gas and whenever maintenance needs to be done, chip in on that (i'm predicting oil changes, the occasional fluid flush). Again nothing crazy. Just stuff that would keep the car the car on the road, just that it also happens to be autox'd.

Again, the goal is low cost and not do anything extra that DW would normally do to the car that wasn't his 'it' car. I was just looking at softening the financial part.

KISS principle yo!

Sorry DW if I just threw you under the bus w/this whole thing.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14

Wanted to mention that the green BMW 2002 is for sale. It is in the 8K range though. The thing is built sturdy and is competitive in the X class. I rode with the guy last time I was out. Did not disappoint at all.

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Wanted to mention that the green BMW 2002 is for sale. It is in the 8K range though. The thing is built sturdy and is competitive in the X class. I rode with the guy last time I was out. Did not disappoint at all.

"built study" isn't exactly how I'd describe Shrek when snapping three throttle cables in one event is considered typical for it.

Shadowden

That information is new to me. Thanks for the clarification.

Of all the things to fail, a snapped throttle cable is interesting. What is the root cause?

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14

In the past, it was because the gas pedal could travel significantly past the WOT point and over extend the cable. It seemed like the owner couldn't figure out how to bolt a block of wood to the car to limit the pedal travel.

For the event I'm thinking of, the cable was rubbing somewhere (unprotected stranded cable) which caused it to wear through some of the substrands and snap. I don't know for sure if the root cause was ever found, but I would hope some kind of solution was implemented by now.

It used to have problems where you could turn the steering wheel too far and screw up the tie rods as well, basically disabling the car for the day.

Due to the camber, kinda crappy brakes, and no ABS, it eats Hoosiers on a regular basis.

The car is prep'ed to 10/10ths, so its very much like a "real racecar" where it needs constant maintenance. You know how professional drag cars get an engine rebuild after every race? Kinda the same concept. If you can get over that, then its one of the top cars in its class and has proven it will take first with the right driver.

Its a great car, but I don't feel its a good match for what is proposed in this thread.

millertime

Postby millertime » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14

A few logistics issues. Don's moving to Cali and is taking all of his stuff with. Where would he keep the car and who would work on it in his absence? Unless there have been some changes to his plans since I last spoke with him.

Shadowden

Bit of confusion. DW in this instance is DWDUC, not Don.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14

The chassis is all back together, and the bodywork started. Hopefully will have it rolling around very soon. trying to locate some good cheap wide 16s or 17s for it. I would be ok with this but only till the car sells. I don't plan on keeping it, however track exposure might help it sell. Anybody who like sanding and prepping is more than welcome to come and rub on it and then auto x it when it is moving. Gotta pull the transmission and tear it back apart also, Hopefully Shadow will come by and one arm curl it out of there for me. Then replace the 3-4 fork and heave it back in. Bought the Transmission used to convert the car from an auto to a 6 speed, put all new synchros in and pads, didn't know the fork was bent till I had it all together and driving.

millertime

Postby millertime » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Bit of confusion. DW in this instance is DWDUC, not Don.

Gotcha, lol.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:14

BTW, I'm more than willing to offer up the Miata as well as a community car. I think it'd be fairly reliable to put through its paces.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:14

Dwduc wrote:The chassis is all back together, and the bodywork started. Hopefully will have it rolling around very soon. trying to locate some good cheap wide 16s or 17s for it. I would be ok with this but only till the car sells. I don't plan on keeping it, however track exposure might help it sell. Anybody who like sanding and prepping is more than welcome to come and rub on it and then auto x it when it is moving. Gotta pull the transmission and tear it back apart also, Hopefully Shadow will come by and one arm curl it out of there for me. Then replace the 3-4 fork and heave it back in. Bought the Transmission used to convert the car from an auto to a 6 speed, put all new synchros in and pads, didn't know the fork was bent till I had it all together and driving.

What is wide? In the rear you looking for 10+? To counter oversteer, do you need similar width in the front? I assume the back of that thing is insanely twitchy.

Huzer wrote:BTW, I'm more than willing to offer up the Miata as well as a community car. I think it'd be fairly reliable to put through its paces.

Huzer, I'd drive it. It is STR competitive as it sits, with a better driver than me that is.

Return to “Autocross”