Starting Line performance driving school and AutoX

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
Brigdh

Starting Line performance driving school and AutoX

Postby Brigdh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14

Hi Folks,

For those who don't know, I'm the Chair for the Solo program of the SCCA's Colorado Region, a member of the RMSolo organization. I usually don't cross promote here, but I think folks here might be interested in this, so here goes.

On Saturday August 16th, RMSolo is hosting a SCCA Starting Line event, and a regular autocross event on Sunday August 17th at Front Range Airport in Watkins (just outside of the Denver area).

A Starting Line event uses autocross to introduce performance driving and motorsport skills to folks who have an interest in any form of amateur motorsport - autocross, rallycross, track driving, etc. However, the focus of spending the majority of the day in one-on-one instructed learning lends itself well to providing targeted feedback and helping the participant improve their skills, no matter what their previous experience is. The instructors are from Evolution Performance Driving - drivers who excel at the national level and can easily hop in your car and beat your best times by seconds.

So, if you are a track junkie or otherwise participates in forms of motorsport other than autocross and you want some one-on-one, personalized instruction on car handling and performance driving from the best drivers in the nation to take your skills to the next level - this is your chance.

Now I'll be blunt, there is a bit of sticker shock to participating in a Starting Line event - it starts at $325. However, I believe its great value when you look at what you get in addition to the driving instruction:
-A one year membership to the SCCA (or a 1 year renewal for current members) including a subscription to SportsCar magazine
-A one year subscription to Grassroots Motorsport magazine
-A free entry to a SCCA ProSolo, Championship Tour, or Match Tour National event
-A free entry to a local SCCA autocross event (such as the one on the 17th, do both events for a fun filled weekend)
-A hat, lunch on the day of the event, and some other misc benefits.

Participants can opt to purchase a SNELL SA2010 helmet at a discounted rate - $100 for an open-face helmet $200 for closed-face helmet. SA2010 is the latest SNELL helmet rating for motorsport use and generally accepted for any motorsport activity, like track driving, drag racing, and of course autocross.

So, if you are interested in more information about the Starting Line program, you can find it at http://www.sccastartingline.com/ IF you would like to sign up to participate, the direct registration link is http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/scca-starting-line-denver-front-range-airport-national-258136#.U88ipvldXXp

Thanks for humoring me, and I hope to see you around.

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14

Damn. I have to leave the day before to head back to school. I always miss the fun stuff.
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14

Do you do this every year? I really would like to do it but I'm not going to be able to swing it this year.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:Do you do this every year? I really would like to do it but I'm not going to be able to swing it this year.

This is basically the inaugural year of the program. Based on what I've been hearing from other regions around the country which have already hosted theirs, the program is better than expected, is reaching a wider audience, and overall seems to be a huge success. I would expect it would continue next year, and we would likely do it again.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:14

Brigdh wrote:-A one year membership to the SCCA (or a 1 year renewal for current members) including a subscription to SportsCar magazine [color="Red"]($65.00)[/color]
-A one year subscription to Grassroots Motorsport magazine [color="red"]($20.00)[/color]
-A free entry to a SCCA ProSolo, Championship Tour, or Match Tour National event [color="red"]($170.00 for Nationals in Nebraska)[/color]
-A free entry to a local SCCA autocross event (such as the one on the 17th, do both events for a fun filled weekend) [color="red"]($45.00?)[/color]
-A hat, lunch on the day of the event [color="red"]($10.00)[/color], and some other misc benefits.

Thanks for posting this Jeff. I added some values to what you are getting outside of the coaching and driving time. Thought it might be helpful.

If my tally is anywhere near correct, people that are going to be doing autocross or track events are going to be spending $310.00 of that fee anyway, so $15.00-$35.00 (dropping the mag sub) for 1-on-1 coaching? interesting.

Return to “Autocross”