Invitaion to an invitational Auto-X event

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu May 24, 2012 9:14

I'm pretty pumped for Sunday. I'm assuming they'll be doing tear down around 4:00. Seems to me, that if only one group is working the course, that the grid will consist of all other cars. That is going to be a lot of runs.:o

pyrrhus17

Postby pyrrhus17 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:14

Glad I just saw this I am gonna try and talk my wife into one of these days , fingers crossed . :lol:

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:14

I'm bringing the whole family down. There will be a track event too (free to watch from the grand stands). Actual bathrooms are there at PPIR, ability to hang out indoors if needed. PPIR is really a great place to watch or race.
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:14

Day one is in the books. Had about 20 runs today! If you are on the fence, come down.
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon May 28, 2012 9:14

I have come to realize how poorly I drive. Two unfamiliar to the car drivers beat my best time in 3 runs or less. On the flip side, I discovered tne car does make a difference. Made my best time in 3 laps in an unfamiliar mazda miata.

Great event. Pretty much made 20 runs and learned a lot. Got faster in one section making the section I had been doing well with a catastrophe...spinning the car a couple times was educational in itself though.

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:14

You did very well. Amanda did something like 60-70 runs in various cars. She had one of the fastest times on Sunday. She has been doing this sport now for a year and a half. Sunday I was almost two seconds slower than she was in the same car! Maybe I can get her to teach me now!

The up comming auto cross school is a great place to learn the sport. If you did not sign up yet (I did) let me know. I pulled the engine on the Miata Monday.....it may not be back in in time for the school.
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue May 29, 2012 9:14

After Sunday, I don't know that my tires would actually last through the school. I have the form all filled out ready to be sent, but my tires got worked and since this is my daily, I'm not ready to burn them the rest of the way off quite yet. I really have been searching for a second set of wheels tires, but with a lot of big house projects to finish, they have slid to the bottom.

I had to recenter my rear sway bar when I got back on Siunday. I wonder if having it coming off center had anything to do with the car getting spinahappy towards the end, especially since it was a corner I was really comfortable with earlier in the day. I ended up using a couple of hose clamps (worm clamps?) to keep it centered temporarily.

What prompted you to pull the engine? It semed like you weren't taking a ton of runs during your first session. Did you run into issues?

ecam8000

My lack of runs on the second day was simply cause I wasn't going as fast as Amanda. Just after you left, she came in and said "dad, the car has a noise". I had her drive it by me and heard a knock. I told her to put it on the trailer. Sunday night after we unloaded I checked the oil level. Nothing on the dip stick. Added about a quart and a half (what was left in the 5 qt jug) and the oil was now on the bottom of the dip stick.

The Miata needs a little oil between races (8 runs). I never gave it any thought after running about 40 runs on the first day.

Never too old to learn.......

The engine is out and on the stand. Tonight I'll strip it down and find the damage. Next event is in 12 days.....
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

Shadowden

Hope it isn't anything serious. That was a quick pull. I thought I got to my sway bar quickly.

ecam8000

Once I got started (had to make breakfast yesterday) it only took about 5 hours. Pulled the tranny with the engine. Split the tranny while it was still on the hook and then mounted the engine to my modified (for height) engine stand. After I finished, had to make burgers on the grill.

I am hoping that the head and cams were not starved of oil and can be reused. If it is just the crank and bearings, I'll have a local machine shop grind the crank and bore to the next size pistons. I'd like to clean up the chambers and ports on the head before turning that over for a valve job.

Once the parts are back a couple of nights or a Saturday should have it back on the road. A quick break in and summer series 5.
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

Shadowden

My car has consumption isues with oil. I need to keep a bette eye on it.

If you ever want bombarded with a lot of questions and need a tool fetcher, let me know. I like learning.

ecam8000

I think any car reved to rev limit is going to use oil.

That poor Miata has spent the last 2 years (and 10k miles) of its life at idle or full throttle. It has taught 4 girls to drive manual. I was proud of the darn thing with so many back to back runs on Saturday with out a break. Had we check and filled the crank case a couple times, it would have kept going. We started with a nearly full tank of fuel on Sat. At lunch time Sunday, Amanda headed out for fuel, the car was on fumes!

If you want to lend a hand and learn as you go you are always welcome.
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

Shadowden

ecam8000 wrote:I think any car reved to rev limit is going to use oil.

That poor Miata has spent the last 2 years (and 10k miles) of its life at idle or full throttle. It has taught 4 girls to drive manual. I was proud of the darn thing with so many back to back runs on Saturday with out a break. Had we check and filled the crank case a couple times, it would have kept going. We started with a nearly full tank of fuel on Sat. At lunch time Sunday, Amanda headed out for fuel, the car was on fumes!

If you want to lend a hand and learn as you go you are always welcome.

Thanks,
I'll pm you some contact info. I burnt through about 1/4 of a tank in the runs I did. It sure is fun.

Return to “Autocross”