Autocross 4/29/12 at Front Range Airport

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
jamiel

Autocross 4/29/12 at Front Range Airport

Postby jamiel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14

One more week left to register for the http://rmsolo.org autocross at Front Range Airport. Hope to see you there!
IT-Works Computer Services 970-405-4399 http://www.i-t-w.com/
2003 Protege5
91 Protege LX (sold)
90 626 (sold)
90 Protege DX (sold)
81 VW Scirocco FSP autocross car.
SCCA RMSOLO COR region Chief of Safety- ask me about autocross

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14

Is it really on Sunday?

If so, I'll plan on being there!

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14

Yes, Sunday. The schedule bounces between Sat and Sunday. Many of the racers can only make one or the other due to work schedules.
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:14

So looks like it's only Jamie, Eric and I planning to participate in the autoX..where are all the car people at? The STF class looks like it will be fun. Have my new pass motor mount in and possibly the rear...don't know.:huh:

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:14

If it makes you feel better, I'll be there

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14

That it does. Wouldn't mind taking a ride if you have an open seat and we aren't in the same heat.

I'll be running 18 stf. A silver Mazda 3 (non speed)

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14

Sorry mate, letting a co-worker co-drive my car. Probably gonna be busy making sure he doesn't kill me :)

There will be plenty of other, better, more knowledgeable drivers than I though. Hang out in grid when you can and just ask random people. I doubt anyone will turn you down.

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:14

Great event. Excellent course, weather was fine. How'd everyone like it?

2003 Protege5

91 Protege LX (sold)

90 626 (sold)

90 Protege DX (sold)

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14

If you could control the wind in the morning, that would be great...seems like you guys have wraps on everyting else.

I thought everything was great. I heard some discontent in the registration line about the wait, but I didn't think it was bad. Best cure for lines is showing up early. I didn't, but the line wasn't bad at all anyway, and it gives you the opportunity to talk with people.

I thought the course was fun. It was only my second one, but it gave me a wide variety of things to deal with and to learn. I was tired after 5 runs at my first event. I really could have gone for at least two more. I remember after my first one that I said 5 runs was my limit and another guy saying no way, he would take as many runs as possible. After doing 4 runs, and really getting some good tips and coaching and not feeling as overwhelmed (first time thing), I could definately stand more time on course.

First run I had ecam with me. He is awesome to have in the car. Helped me out a lot with the first run and getting through everything clean. Time: 73:xxx

Second run, I had young Miss Ecam (ecam's not quite old enough to drive on the road daughter) ride as a coach. Calm cool and collect...no wonder she does so well. She gave me some great advice and helped me push a little in areas. Time: 72:XXX

Third run, was with Jamie. Talked about the area of the course where young Miss Ecam suggested I could really pick up some time. Jamie talked about big steering wheel inputs and keeping eyes up the track. Time 69:xxx...+1 for a cone in the first little slalom.

Fourth Run with Jamie again. Focus was staying clean and tight through the turnarounds and carrying speed through the sweeper. Big inputs and eyes up as a default thought process. Time 67:xxx.

I was still 5 seconds off the first run pace of the guys in my class, but it felt like I was driving the car. I know there is a lot of time to pick up out there, but it felt great. I'm already at the point where I would like a dedicated car for this (maybe even this car), but would love to do it more often and fear that it may be tough to keep a daily driver running with the additional AutoX use. We shall see because I plan to keep coming as often as my training schedule allows.

Hoping to see you June 9!

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14

Kinch (2nd overall yesterday- he's faster than you.. and me) did a spectacular job "breaking tape" on yesterday's course. Very useful even if you didn't drive this particular course. His focus on "eyes and hands" is what most people need to go faster. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_woZLAcR5aI&feature=colike"]Coaching breakdown of Summer Series 2 of RMSOLO - YouTube[/ame]

2003 Protege5

91 Protege LX (sold)

90 626 (sold)

90 Protege DX (sold)

jamiel

Shadowden wrote:I thought everything was great. I heard some discontent in the registration line about the wait, but I didn't think it was bad.

We have ideas to improve this for next event, still getting used to the new trailer.

Shadowden wrote:Third run, was with Jamie. Talked about the area of the course where young Miss Ecam suggested I could really pick up some time. Jamie talked about big steering wheel inputs and keeping eyes up the track. Time 69:xxx...+1 for a cone in the first little slalom.

Fourth Run with Jamie again. Focus was staying clean and tight through the turnarounds and carrying speed through the sweeper. Big inputs and eyes up as a default thought process. Time 67:xxx.

Glad I could help!

Shadowden wrote:I'm already at the point where I would like a dedicated car for this (maybe even this car)

I hear Miata's are good.... ;)

2003 Protege5

91 Protege LX (sold)

90 626 (sold)

90 Protege DX (sold)

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14

jamiel wrote:Kinch (2nd overall yesterday- he's faster than you.. and me) did a spectacular job "breaking tape" on yesterday's course. Very useful even if you didn't drive this particular course. His focus on "eyes and hands" is what most people need to go faster. Coaching breakdown of Summer Series 2 of RMSOLO - YouTube

This is an 89 Honda Civic Si, right? Great car. I love them. Prefer the eg chasis, but the ef is second by a hair. I would love to drive/ride in this car. His co-driver (woman) in the x class seemed to blaze the course yesterday as well.

I need to find Dorsey's video now. I think Kinch said a lot of the same things you taught me, but I took the line he said to avoid entering the sweeper. I left a comment, maybe we'll discuss it.

jamiel

Shadowden wrote:This is an 89 Honda Civic Si, right? Great car. I love them. Prefer the eg chasis, but the ef is second by a hair. I would love to drive/ride in this car. His co-driver (woman) in the x class seemed to blaze the course yesterday as well.

Right, 89 Civic Si, the "It" car for the STC class. Jamie drove it well in W yesterday. Jamie normally drives the 2002 in FSP, but it's in the shop at the moment. That car had 5 drivers in it yesterday- 2 X, 1 W, 1 SM, 1 STC.

2003 Protege5

91 Protege LX (sold)

90 626 (sold)

90 Protege DX (sold)

Return to “Autocross”