Rallycross and You!

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
Whizbang

Rallycross and You!

Postby Whizbang » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:14

Alright folks!

So, Rallycross, a newer grassroots level sport, has been gaining popularity. While similar to autocross in scoring and operation, Rallycross also has some substantial differences. The biggest is the surface which ranges from gravel to dirt and on some days, pure mud. This is mainly based on your local geological makeup. Secondly, the way you setup your car is different from autocross as pavement behaves little like untamed earth. The last thing is that class structure is simple and easy to follow. Autocross has a spectrum of classes for nearly every situation so that everyone can feel special and not worry about being competitive.

What does this mean for you? Well for one, you can get away with some simple down to earth cars. Your basic, mundane car can provide fun on a scale that few are accustomed. This makes the sport cheap and easy to maintain. The way you setup your car also changes. That I will get to momentarily!

For classes, the basic outline is this:

Stock Rear Drive
Stock Front Drive
Stock All Drive

Prepared Rear Drive
Prepared Front Drive
Prepared All Drive

Modified Two
Modified Four

For the details on these, I will let you look at the rule book on SCCA’s website.
[color="RoyalBlue"]For current updates and event coverage check out[/color] [SIZE="3"]Whizbang Rally's Facebook[/SIZE]

Whizbang

So what is the difference between Rallycross and Stage Rally?

Well there are plenty. For starters, money. The cost to run a Rallycross is typically around 30 to 50 dollars entry fee, plus minimal fuel to drive there. You really only need your car and a helmet. Many times helmets can be borrowed. The inspection checklist is similar to autocross, make sure you battery isn't loose and the positive terminal is covered.

While a stage rally is typically not close to where you live, so towing costs are higher. Then entry fees can be from 400 to nearly 800 or more for a one or two day event. Route books are usually extra. Then there is the required safety equipment for the driver; Helmet, fire suit, neck restraint (HANS). You also need a co-driver. You can split costs, but its still not for the faint of wallet.
That doesn’t also include car prep. Making the car stage legal requires a proper cage specified by either Rally America or NASA Rally Sport. Additionally, you have the seats. Now what else? Well car prep! Stock stuff works for Rallycrossing, but Stage Rally requires your car to survive terrible things and be able to perform under a myriad of conditions.

Also, seat time. A rallycross can run between 36 seconds o perhaps 2 minutes. A stage rally is a two or three undertaking, consisting of possible recce (google it) and the event itself. Some rallies can be up to 150 stage miles, with as much as 400 transit miles. That is a lot of seat time, and that is where nice, comfy stuff comes in (see money above)
[color="RoyalBlue"]For current updates and event coverage check out[/color] [SIZE="3"]Whizbang Rally's Facebook[/SIZE]

Whizbang

Rallycross is a great gate way into rallying if you ever so choose that path. But here in Colorado, you do have other great options. These consist of:

CORE (outside of Denver). Great place for practicing, test and tunes, etc on dirt. Year fee for unlimited use or a use by use basis.

CHCA (all over Colorado) Colorado Hill Climb Association hosts several dirt hillclimbs all over the state. Great for a taste of rally like competition.

SCCA Rallyx The SCCA Rallycross program is strong in Colorado! Check SCCA's site for information on events and contact information.

Also, come to stage rallies and volunteer! There is a lot that goes into a rally and its impossible to pull off without the support of enthusiasts like yourselves! As an organizer for the Idaho Rally for a few years now, I can tell you I have always had fun and learned quite a lot!

For more info on stage rally:

http://www.rallyanarchy.com
http://www.specialstage.com
http://www.rally-america.com
http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:14

Good writeup.
I worked the SCCA Rallycross National Championship in Fountain 2 years ago (BRRRR!!!!), I'll get out to compete in an event eventually. Autocrossers joke that we're just a couple site-losses away from being rallycrossers anyway.
A couple buddies are current national champs. Colorado has a really strong SCCA Rallycross program- the website is here: http://www.coloradorallycross.org/
IT-Works Computer Services 970-405-4399 http://www.i-t-w.com/
2003 Protege5
91 Protege LX (sold)
90 626 (sold)
90 Protege DX (sold)
81 VW Scirocco FSP autocross car.
SCCA RMSOLO COR region Chief of Safety- ask me about autocross

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14

I didn't read the whole web site, but it seems like rallycross is pretty straightforward, then they show pictures of highly modified cars flying through the air...(by the way, what car is in the picture here: http://www.coloradorallycross.org/news/mid-season-update).

I would actually love to race, and either rally cross, rally, autocross, or road racing would all be great. Can you compare the prices for rallycross vs. autocross and Rally vs. road racing?

Also, I would guess that I would need a race day specific car as I have no ambition of tearing up my daily. What would be your suggestions as a starting point?

Whizbang

Postby Whizbang » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14

rallycross wise, you can get away with something as simple as "it runs". Front wheel drive cars are a great starting point as you can drive them hard and fast. Better still, they are cheap and plentiful. Some sort of stud less snow tire is a good choice, jack the pressure up to prevent debeading. so you average honad, protege, neon (especially R/T) etc are good starting points. Not to mention golfs or rabbits. Really there are so many choices that would work.

Autocross tend to cost more in "car". Since you'll find you need performance this or aftermarket that. Then you have tires and brakes etc. Rallycross you can run the car rather stock and have a hoot. You can upgrade as time goes on.

As far a jumps, SCCA rallycross never has jumps. The Global rallycross (or european rallycross) is head to head style. Very different from SCCA rallycrossing.

Shadowden

Well, there are some cars that can be had fairly cheap. So no roll cage is required for rally? Racing seats and 5 point harnesses required?

Justin

Postby Justin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14

No roll cage for rallycross. Rally absolutely requires a cage and some pretty pricey safety equipment.

Shadowden

Justin wrote:No roll cage for rallycross. Rally absolutely requires a cage and some pretty pricey safety equipment.
\

So still need a racing seat/5 point harness. Assume a helmet...suit?

Justin

Postby Justin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14

Yup. Neck restraints, shoes, helmet, suit, etc. Pretty much all the same stuff you'd need for a dedicated race car.

Whizbang

for rallycross the SCCA puts on, you need a helmet. That is it. And more than likely you can borrow one.

for STAGE rally, you would find yourself in need a myriad of safety items. Was the way I wrote that above not clear?

Whizbang

i reworded it. might make more sense.

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14

Whizbang wrote:Autocross tend to cost more in "car". Since you'll find you need performance this or aftermarket that. Then you have tires and brakes etc. Rallycross you can run the car rather stock and have a hoot. You can upgrade as time goes on.

Autocross only requires a car that passes a basic safety inspection, and the entry fee- RMSOLO even has loaner helmets (though you'll want to buy your own pretty quickly).
You can spend as much or as little as you want in either autocross or rallycross for tires, upgrades, cars, etc. When you're first starting out, you'll have a blast "running what 'ya brung".
We encourage newcomers to learn to drive their cars as-is, before getting tires and other upgrades. $$'s for entry fees to get "seat time" will make you faster, quicker.
IT-Works Computer Services 970-405-4399 http://www.i-t-w.com/

2003 Protege5

91 Protege LX (sold)

90 626 (sold)

90 Protege DX (sold)

81 VW Scirocco FSP autocross car.

SCCA RMSOLO COR region Chief of Safety- ask me about autocross

Whizbang

Postby Whizbang » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:14

I would also like to add that rally tires are generally SLOWER at a rallycross. Mostly because they are heavy. I prefer them because i plan on stage rallying and it keeps things linear. They also have nice sidewalls and do not debead.

But for the fair weather racer or beginner i strongly recommend snow tires at higher pressures.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14

I was thinking about the future this weekend while driving my truck. How much does a dedicated rally car weigh (approximately)? I know it is rather open, but I would think most competitive cars would weigh nearly the same. I would be leaning toward fwd, I think. The reason is that I am likely going to be swapping trucks in the future and was wondering if going to a 3/4 ton would be worthwhile (bigger engine for towing).

In any event, I am at least a couple years out from doing anything with racing anyway (besides possibly getting a license), due to school.

Return to “Autocross”