The Trans Am (fireburden)

Dwduc

The Trans Am (fireburden)

Postby Dwduc » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:14

Well it is coming together, Shadow came over and we got the transmission ready to pull. It isn't coming out as easily as I remembered. I also attempted to help him bleed his coolant on the Silverback Stook and I ended up being very little help. Odd coolant system with the air bleeds on the inlet side of the water pump????

Many thanks to Shadow for the motivation to get under that beast and turn some wrenches.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:14

Well the Transmission is all torn apart. Shadow stopped by on the way home from PMP Friday and we finished pulling it out. After teardown found a broken key and shift fork pad. Will check locally for parts Monday but will probably have to order, which means it isn't going back in till my next days off around the 15th.

Dwduc

The bird build

Postby Dwduc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:14

So I will add the history of this vehicle. Its been a long process with many setbacks.
First thing was finding a 1995 T/A firebird for sale on CL for cheap, And I thought "Good project".

Pretty rough shape, blown motor, 4L60E auto, trashed wiring harness because the owner had thoughts of making a drag car out of it.
So I hauled it home.

Turned out the front bumper was held on with 2x4s and liquid nails.

Bought a v6 99 with a blown motor and trashed interior for the body.

Stripped the body off the 99 doors forward (the 95 doors had some cracks) and its windshield, scrapped the rest.

Sprayed it all red to match the 95.

fit all the parts up to the T/A. There was hours of wiring repair to make the laterbody style lights work. Also installed LS brakes and steering knuckles.

Got some early casting number corvette LT1 heads. (had more material in the port cielings) And ported and matched them as big as possible. Added some 1.6 Roller rockers and dual Speedway race springs.

heads and Big Isky bracket racing cam installed on WS6 block from salvage yard and bottom end freshened up.

Long tube headers and 41lb/hr injectors

Dropped in the windshield. And here is how she looked untill about a year ago when it smacked the fire hydrant.

Swapped in a T56 6 speed as the built engine ruined the auto within 500 miles of my not so gentle "break in" driving.

Return to “Piston Vehicle”