2014 Focus ST (mine)

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14

Wee, my little model car came in. It's a nicely detailed tiny car, gauges are even clear to read on the inside. Doors/hood don't open, but I still think it's pretty cool. If they made a bigger version, I'd probably get one.

[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14

After letting my sis and brother-in-law borrow the car last week, I have a new review! My bro-in-law did much of the driving, and full disclaimer is that he is not an enthusiast/driver type person. He enjoys looking at "cool" cars (mostly 50s and 60s american iron) and that's about as far as he goes. It was funny listening to him talk about how he felt he was driving a "German sports car, even though I've never driven one" and the shock that he was driving a Ford that was so quick and felt so solid. (He's a GM guy). His only gripe was the initial bite of the brakes. "And it held all our suitcases, too!"

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14

Initial bite meaning they engaged more sharply than he expected? If so, I noticed that on our fleet vehicles (Ford) and have to adjust my braking every time I drive one. I think the bite is nice once you get used to it. Better than the Avalanche when I'm not always sure its going to stop...though it has always stopped in time so far (thank God).

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Initial bite meaning they engaged more sharply than he expected? If so, I noticed that on our fleet vehicles (Ford) and have to adjust my braking every time I drive one. I think the bite is nice once you get used to it. Better than the Avalanche when I'm not always sure its going to stop...though it has always stopped in time so far (thank God).

Exactly. To the point that when I drive the wife's Jeep, I find myself nearly smashing the pedal to get to a stop before I rearend the car in front of me. Ok, not really, but it is a significant difference.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:14

One thing I've grown to like about the ST, when I go to drop off my son at preschool, I'm one of 3 people that drive a car. Literally. There's a beige Cruz, a yellow WRX, and me amongst the sea of Siennas, Tahoes, Pilots, etc. Of course when I drop him off in the Jeep, I just blend in.

I'm not ranting against SUVs, just an observation.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:14

Huzer wrote:One thing I've grown to like about the ST, when I go to drop off my son at preschool, I'm one of 3 people that drive a car. Literally. There's a beige Cruz, a yellow WRX, and me amongst the sea of Siennas, Tahoes, Pilots, etc. Of course when I drop him off in the Jeep, I just blend in.

I'm not ranting against SUVs, just an observation.

I know the feeling. :D

There's more than 3 cars at my son's school, but SUV's are definitely in the large majority (it seems like 90%+). I think I'm one of the only ones that actually drives him there in something relatively "Sporty", with the exception of 1 guy I see all the time that picks his kid up in a black Audi RS4. :eek:
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14

Well, in case anyone wonders, the hatch area holds 4 215/60/16 tires. I was able to get 4 more in the rear seat area with the seats folded down. I could shove 4 more back there if I needed to. 12 tire capacity in a compact hatch is pretty cool. I happened upon a Fiesta (non-ST) walking into work this morning. Glad I didn't go that route. Rear seat space would've have been horrible, as would have cargo.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:14

Winter mode: 16" 2003 Taurus alloys, Michelin X-ice 215/60/16. All found used, including install, I'm in for $364. No TPMS.

Check out that caliper clearance on the front. Woohoo, 16"s, haha. It looks closer than it really is, the inside of the wheel flares out quite a bit.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:14

Good find! For that kind of money, I would be in too! I'm still jealous of your ability to run 16's.... :D

And I thought my caliper clearance was close with 17's! Tight fit buddy!
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:14

I think we should plastidip those wheels black.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:I think we should plastidip those wheels black.

I may be too lazy to pull the wheels off to dip them. I thought about duplicolor spraying them to a gunmetal color, too.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:14

So, somehow the driver's side lower bumper got gouged. The scrape goes from the front of the lip, straight back along the front bumper towards the wheel well. I haven't gotten under the car yet. The cause is one of two things. Someone else drove my car this past weekend, they shall not be names. The hams at Discount Tire did something, but that seems unlikely. I did not notice the scrape when I swapped over to the winter setup. I don't park anywhere where there are curbs in front of the vehicle. My work lot doesn't have any curbs, other than the islands, and the PNR is the same. Oh well, I'm bummed, but it's not really visible unless you're looking for it.

Edit: Mystery solved, I did it. I picked up my sis in law on the way to the game, they have a steep driveway/curb, and I scraped backing out. Explains why the plastic on the bumper was curled forward. Damn, I was hoping to blame someone else. Ha!

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:14

I'm not going to call the ST a "tank" in the snow, but the snow tires work really well. I'm happy with the set up. Sure the traction light came on a few times last night, but the roads were slick and fairly snowy. I'm sure with my driving, I could've got the light to come on in the Jeep as well.

I'm happy with the setup. Especially since I know I'd have gone absolutely nowhere with the stockers on there! Although I have a hankering to get another truck, I'll hang on to the ST a little longer...even with the smokin' deals you can get on Tacomas right now. Ha. The deals will be even better on 2015s next fall when the 2016s come out. Haha.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:14

It's a tank. I have my van on snows and i blow past people in their AWD-wrong-tire-forthejob SUV/4wd vehicles. Even the small slides i do are controlled.

In the CRV with snow tires that thing is a rally machine.

The big thing is being able to brake confidently.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:14

Nah, the Tundra was a tank in the snow! This car with snow tires is competent.

Return to “Piston Vehicle”