Plan for Project '04 Mazdaspeed Miata (err, MX-5?)

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:I bought my car with the rollbar so i have no before/after comments, but i hear it doesnt do much in way of chassis stiffening. Im hoping the harness bar i out in helped. Before you do anything to the car, go to the track and establish a baseline time. My 2 pennies.

Edit: nevermind u at least need that rollbar first and/or hardtop.

He could run an autox for a baseline feel under more aggressive driving scenario though. I think your suggestion is a good one with a minor adjustment.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14

roninsoldier83 wrote:Do you have a link by chance? I'd love to take a peek at it. :)

I couldn't find an online link, but you're more than welcome to the hard issue I have at home.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14

roninsoldier83 wrote:Thoughts? Recommendations?

Yup > Miata + LSx + T56 + Ford 8.8 = :)

But I also support the plan you laid out. However, I would go with coilover shocks, replace all bushings, remove rear sway bar, and have the car corner balanced with you in the car and the race wheels/tires installed. Also, if you strip the car, you won't have to worry about bigger/better brakes, lol.

Based on your sig, it looks like you already have a street car. Why not make this the "hardcore track rat" of your 3 cars? I mean roll bar + extra set of wheels/tires (strictly for the track) sounds like a hardcore track rat to me :)

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:14

coloskydiver wrote:It is hard for me to give a before and after comparison but during my build I went with the Frog Arms and a Boss Frog Roll bar. The car was very composed on both the street and track. The other thing that I felt made a difference was the harness bar that braced the car laterally. The V8 Miata guys felt that the new transmission mount help brace the car as well. I do know that the Frog Arm were more of a must for the NA guys than the NB cars but still believe in the product. Fairly cheep and easy to install. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Saul_Good wrote:I bought my car with the rollbar so i have no before/after comments, but i hear it doesnt do much in way of chassis stiffening. Im hoping the harness bar i out in helped. Before you do anything to the car, go to the track and establish a baseline time. My 2 pennies.

Edit: nevermind u at least need that rollbar first and/or hardtop.

Agreed. :)

I doubt the stiffening mods will do a ton for performance per se, but I would be more interested in feel/feedback and I'm sure it would make the car feel a bit better over expansion joints and such!

Shadowden wrote:He could run an autox for a baseline feel under more aggressive driving scenario though. I think your suggestion is a good one with a minor adjustment.

I do agree with that... Although it would be tough to see any measurable differences due to autoX courses changing weekly, it would certainly allow me to see how the car feels/reacts under more stressful situations. However, a roll bar is going in regardless. :)

Huzer wrote:I couldn't find an online link, but you're more than welcome to the hard issue I have at home.

I'll be sure to take you up on that one of these days!
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

roninsoldier83

FDEEZ wrote:Yup > Miata + LSx + T56 + Ford 8.8 = :)

But I also support the plan you laid out. However, I would go with coilover shocks, replace all bushings, remove rear sway bar, and have the car corner balanced with you in the car and the race wheels/tires installed. Also, if you strip the car, you won't have to worry about bigger/better brakes, lol.

Based on your sig, it looks like you already have a street car. Why not make this the "hardcore track rat" of your 3 cars? I mean roll bar + extra set of wheels/tires (strictly for the track) sounds like a hardcore track rat to me :)

I like your thought process! Although, if I was planning on running a LSx swap, I would think a cheaper NA or NB Miata would be a better place to start, as opposed to throwing away all the fancy MSM parts that I likely paid more for up front. :D

As far as making it a hardcore track car goes, well it doesn't fit into my plan at this point! There's a few reasons why:

-Last summer I got a phenomenal deal on a house (as in no one in their right mind would turn it down- 50% off list price via GNND program)... unfortunately, my commute to work quadrupled as a result. :eek: As did the drive to take my son to school (he's in a great school, don't want to move him). Part of the appeal of buying the 3rd car was to help keep miles off of my brand new "commuter" car. No sense in rapidly devaluing the brand new, luxury car by racking up miles for the daily grind. The plan was to try and drive the Miata to work 1-2 days a week; and I'm happy to report that I've kept with the plan. :) I'm a big fan of street suspensions on street cars and due to commuting occasionally, I would very much like the MSM to remain a street car. :)

-The Subaru is the wife's car.... we rarely ever trade! :lol: She's not a big fan of the Infiniti (loves her WRX!) and even if she was, well, she's not so great with taking care of cars either, so I'm not so keen on letting her take either the G37 or the MSM ;) .... so it's more like having "2" cars. :D

-I work nights and weekends. Why does that matter? Because most race series' occur on weekends... Having a full time track car would be pointless to me, as I know that I don't have the time to go to the track very often. In order to go to a track or autoX day on a Sat/Sun, I have to burn vacation time and that's no bueno. Using a vacation day here or there is no problem, but I don't have enough time off to spend every weekend at the track... and even if I did, the wife would be pretty upset when I told her we're no longer having vacations haha!

-On my days off, me and the little lady like to go on mountain drives and such when we can get away from the kids. Thus far she LOVES the MSM... if I stripped it down and installed a cage, or if the suspension rattled her teeth out of her jaw, well, let's just say I would have to hear about it in a not so pleasant way! Which would result in her being less than supportive of modding further. :lol:

Maybe one of these days I might consider converting to a full blown track car, but before that would happen I would want a different schedule and a shorter commute to work, so I didn't have to occasionally rely on it to get me to work.

The wheels and roll bar are a different story altogether.... If I want to do ANY track days, EVER, the roll bar is a must. However, part of the appeal of the Boss Frog Clearview Maxx is how far back it sits, so I can still use the car on the street without fear of smashing my head on it.

The wheels just seem like a good idea, but to be clear, most of my cars get 2 sets of wheels anyway (generally just summer & winter wheels/tires). I know how fast a couple track days can wear down tires.... The factory Racing Hart 17's aren't known for their strength and there's no use paying for 17" tires that would be destroyed quickly on a track when a set of 15" wheels/tires will get the job done. Whatever I would likely spend on the 15" wheels themselves, I would likely be able to recoup my money if I ever sold them (aftermarket 15's), as they would likely be purchased used. Making it more of an investment over time... the 15" tires would just be a money saver over time (vs 17's). Not to mention, I wouldn't want to risk damaging the factory 17's as they're fairly rare/hard to come by and I would like to be able to return the car to stock in the event that I ever sold it.

So, while I applaud the idea, I've got a few reasons for "the plan." :D

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:14

Luckily HPR will start having some trackdays on Thurs/Fri this coming Spring/Summer.

Can't wait (but can ... depends on their behavior that day :P ) until my kids are old enough get away from. Unlike you, my wife is not too fond of the Miata :(

Your plan is sound to me. I enjoy going to the track, but not having a full blown trackcar to do it. For me it's the fun of enjoying the car to its/my utmost limit at a track, then driving it around town and backroads for that street enjoyment (if that makes sense).

roninsoldier83

Saul_Good wrote:Luckily HPR will start having some trackdays on Thurs/Fri this coming Spring/Summer.

Can't wait (but can ... depends on their behavior that day :P ) until my kids are old enough get away from. Unlike you, my wife is not too fond of the Miata :(

Your plan is sound to me. I enjoy going to the track, but not having a full blown trackcar to do it. For me it's the fun of enjoying the car to its/my utmost limit at a track, then driving it around town and backroads for that street enjoyment (if that makes sense).

Unfortunately, I work Wed-Sat from 10pm-8am... So, I'm fairly hosed all around! I technically have Sunday's "off", but I go to work Saturday night and don't get off until 8am Sunday morning... After a 10 hour graveyard shift, I'm usually pretty worn out by the time I get home... Even more so when I get stuck working OT. Speaking of which, it's WAY past my bedtime haha!

To be honest, the wife was pretty upset about me getting the Miata initially... but, after taking her for a few spirited, fun drives, she quickly changed her mind! She keeps asking me when she can borrow it... and I keep changing the subject. ;)

My friend, I completely understand your mentality and that's pretty much been my goal from the start. :)

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:14

Sorry for making you write so much in responding to my post. Anyway, my hat's off to you on managing your priorities and exercising self-restraint when it comes to modifying your vehicle(s). I've always tried to keep my vehicles stock...but that feeling, unfortunately, doesn't last long, lol.

Good luck with your project, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with that Miata on whatever journey you take it through. Please keep us updated with plenty of pics.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

FDEEZ wrote:Sorry for making you write so much in responding to my post. Anyway, my hat's off to you on managing your priorities and exercising self-restraint when it comes to modifying your vehicle(s). I've always tried to keep my vehicles stock...but that feeling, unfortunately, doesn't last long, lol.

Good luck with your project, and I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with that Miata on whatever journey you take it through. Please keep us updated with plenty of pics.

No worries at all bud; I'm a long winded writer as it is :D

I hear ya on showing self restraint for modding... it's a skill that I've had to hone for many years! I've went WAY overboard on a few of my cars in the past, some more than others (like my former '06 Subaru STI). Now the skill that I need to work on is actually keeping a car for more than 1.5 years on average!

I actually posted a few pics right after I got the car:
http://www.coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9046

Although not too long ago I took a few pics of the G37x & MSM together... due to their drastic differences in size, I thought it was pretty comical!

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

Beautiful cars! I can't believe how little the Miata looks. I like how Mazda designed the plumbing to show off that tiny front mount intercooler, haha! Does the FMIC come naturally black or was it painted?

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14

The intercooler is stock. The core itself is actually bare metal (not painted), it's just a bit dirty & rock chipped haha! The end tanks are painted black from the factory:

http://www.motorstown.com/images/mazda-miata-mazdaspeed-04.jpg

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14

I like taking pictures of my Miata next to other vehicles too. This one always cracks me up.

2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:14

So, here recently I've finally got around to doing a bit of work to the MSM.

Since I've owned it I noticed that it has been consuming a bit of oil. Nothing crazy, but enough for me to keep an eye on it. The car runs strong and there are no visible oil stains on the ground in my garage. I looked underneath the car and saw thick, dried on oil below the crank pulley & around the oil pan; but it was not fresh, so I'm thinking it might have just been caked on there from work the previous owner did.

I posted the issue up on Mazdas-speed.com (MSM boards) and learned that these cars are notorious for consuming oil due to their factory catch-cans. I was told that sometimes when pressure builds up in the oil pan/crank case that the oil will get pushed the wrong way through the catch can and into the intake; resulting in oil consumption. Apparently its such a common issue that Flyin' Miata actually came up with a check valve solution:
http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4536&parentid=0&stocknumber=36-90100

Based on the recommendation of members over there I checked my OEM catch-can's line that runs to the intake. I found that it contained oil and was told that nothing but air was supposed to pass through it/it should not contain oil. As such, this has lead me to believe that the catch-can getting overwhelmed might actually be the problem.

So, here recently I cleaned the bottom of my engine (to see if any of the dried/caked on oil returns), installed the FM check valve and did an oil change while I was in there. I decided to swap the oil over to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 based on the countless recommendations I've seen on the Intarwebs. Funny enough, with the new check valve and thicker oil, the car seems to idle just a tad bit smoother; but then again, it might just be a placebo effect.

From here on out I'll just monitor the oil and see if that solved the problem (fingers crossed).

Not too long ago I also completed a foamectomy on the driver seat. It was fairly straight forward and simplistic. I seem to sit a tad bit lower now, but nothing too crazy. I would still like to sit in a couple aftermarket seats sometime, just to see if they would lower me enough to actually be worth the extra cash.

So, that's all for Project MSM right about now. Still recovering from the purchase, so it's going to be a while before the real mods start. I'll keep you guys posted.

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:14

I'm surprised that they come with a catch can from factory, but having oil in the catch can isn't really a "bad thing" per say, it's just doing its job. Alot of MS3/6 guys actually put a second check valve in line, as well as remove the line to the intake mani and plug that hole.

T6 is fantastic. I ran it in my speed till the day I sold it, and I run it in my miata. You will find that you will actually be able to go farther per change if you really wanted too.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:14

Mortose wrote:I'm surprised that they come with a catch can from factory, but having oil in the catch can isn't really a "bad thing" per say, it's just doing its job. Alot of MS3/6 guys actually put a second check valve in line, as well as remove the line to the intake mani and plug that hole.

T6 is fantastic. I ran it in my speed till the day I sold it, and I run it in my miata. You will find that you will actually be able to go farther per change if you really wanted too.

To my knowledge only the turbocharged MSM's came with a factory catch can:

I agree, having oil in the catch can isn't very out of the ordinary. However, I'm not a big fan of the line the connects directly to the factory intake having a significant amount of oil in it:

I've heard the same thing about T6 & have seen good things from oil analysis' on it. :)

Return to “Piston Vehicle”