Plan for Project '04 Mazdaspeed Miata (err, MX-5?)

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:14

That is quite alot of blow by. wow.

I agree, i would look at adding an aftermarket catch can, and a second check valve.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:14

Mortose wrote:That is quite alot of blow by. wow.

I agree, i would look at adding an aftermarket catch can, and a second check valve.

You can probably see why I was pretty sure the OEM catch can was responsible for my oil consumption haha! :D

The guys on Mazda-speed say that the single check valve (installed in the oil drain hose- only a few inches away from the oil pan- http://flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/misc/MSM_check_valve_kit.pdf ) should cut down on consumption due to blow by drastically. I'll monitor the oil for a few hundred miles and see what kind of a difference it makes and go from there. No need to spend anymore cash if this thing actually works. :)

Worst case scenario, I would definitely keeps those suggestions in mind. :)
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:14

Just a quick update: after driving the car for a couple hundred miles, I think the check valve might have solved the issue! Or at least minimized it drastically.

One of these days, I'll get around to cleaning the oil out of the intake plumbing, once I get some free time to do it.

Overall though, I'm shocked that the factory catch can was being that overwhelmed.
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:14

I did the same mod on my SRT-4 and it helped a lot with blow-by. It was so ghetto though lol. I used like sprinkler plumbing parts to rig it up. But it worked.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “Piston Vehicle”