'92 Miata: Budget Project Car

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14

How are your shift boots? Not the visible outer one but the two rubber ones underneath. Chances are they are going to be at least cracked, if not completely torn. Replacing them will help keep some noise and heat out of the cabin. In the summertime when going for a long drive the center console gets pretty hot if those boots are torn and all the engine/transmission heat is allowed up into the cabin.

Another item that commonly needs replacing is your coolant overflow reservoir. Mine had a big crack in it that I didn't even notice until I would start smelling coolant after the car was warmed up. It was near the top and the coolant wouldn't leak until it expanded and filled up to the top. Some duct tape sealed it off until I was able to order a replacement one off ebay.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14

erod550 wrote:How are your shift boots? Not the visible outer one but the two rubber ones underneath. Chances are they are going to be at least cracked, if not completely torn. Replacing them will help keep some noise and heat out of the cabin. In the summertime when going for a long drive the center console gets pretty hot if those boots are torn and all the engine/transmission heat is allowed up into the cabin.

Another item that commonly needs replacing is your coolant overflow reservoir. Mine had a big crack in it that I didn't even notice until I would start smelling coolant after the car was warmed up. It was near the top and the coolant wouldn't leak until it expanded and filled up to the top. Some duct tape sealed it off until I was able to order a replacement one off ebay.

Yep, the boots are trashed, noticed that on the way home and definitely noticed it even more after pulling the console. Other than around the block, I haven't driven it since I drove it home the night I bought it. And being out of town 2 weeks definitely didn't help. All I've been able to "inspect" is a quick cleaning of the interior. I'll start diving in deeper soon.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14

Stoked for you. looking forward to some good cruises.

Also, I listened to music in my car for the first time in weeks tonight. I preferred hearing the engine at ~9k ripping south through the old narrows of i25. Silly pickup truck...though he stayed in the gas and I decided I didn't care to explain that type of speeding ticket to anyone. There were people driving crazy fst everywhere tonight for some reason, so I dropped it down to 5 over...getting old I suppose.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Stoked for you. looking forward to some good cruises.

Also, I listened to music in my car for the first time in weeks tonight. I preferred hearing the engine at ~9k ripping south through the old narrows of i25. Silly pickup truck...though he stayed in the gas and I decided I didn't care to explain that type of speeding ticket to anyone. There were people driving crazy fst everywhere tonight for some reason, so I dropped it down to 5 over...getting old I suppose.

Lol, I must be getting old too. I'll do a quick pull and then quickly drop down to 5 over too. I used to do 10-15 over everywhere when I was younger. But then I used to get at least one speeding ticket a year too so....

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri May 17, 2013 9:14

Haha, street racing for old dudes...or people around long enough to realize the huge deficit in the risk/reward analysis.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri May 17, 2013 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Haha, street racing for old dudes...or people around long enough to realize the huge deficit in the risk/reward analysis.

I'll be in your neck of the woods next Friday, although I'm guessing you'll be out of town. Peak to Peak Miata is meeting at the Sonic in Castle Rock.

Shadowden

Huzer wrote:I'll be in your neck of the woods next Friday, although I'm guessing you'll be out of town. Peak to Peak Miata is meeting at the Sonic in Castle Rock.

What time? I'll come by and say hello and get you a milk shake. Maybe tut will come down...it'll be like old times with more mazdas around...except me.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri May 17, 2013 9:14

Shadowden wrote:What time? I'll come by and say hello and get you a milk shake. Maybe tut will come down...it'll be like old times with more mazdas around...except me.

It starts at 6 PM runs thru 8 or so. I'll try and be there close to 6, 6:15.

Shadowden

Dang, will have to pop for full price shakes then...:D

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sat May 18, 2013 9:14

Put new tires on the replacement wheels today. New lugs, as the old open ended nuts were in nasty shape. I'm just waiting patiently for the shop to call and let me know it's done. Went with stock size, Falken Ziex 912s. Decent tire for the stockers. If I get serious about auto cross/track time, I'll upgrade in the future.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:14

I'm pretty sure that's the tire I run in the summer on mine. They're not track quality but they handle pretty well on the street and you can actually get around in the snow a little bit on them if you get caught by surprise before putting your winter tires on. I need to get mine back on because I hate the stupid studded snow tires on dry roads but since I just had surgery recently I'm on limits regarding lifting things so it'll have to wait a few more weeks :(

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Sun May 19, 2013 9:14

I've had two sets of Falken 512s (the generation of tire before the 912s), and I concur. Great street tire, decent in snow, but they tend to eat themselves in track/autox.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun May 19, 2013 9:14

I almost went with the 512s, but Tires Plues had the 912s for a good price in stock. Add in that they didn't meet their "59 minute guarantee", and I basically paid for 3 tires and got one free. They refund $59 if they don't complete the install in 59 minutes. Coincidentally, they're the same tires my buddy has on his 911.

Next up, picking up some springs to throw on with the shocks. The shocks are 100% completely shot. Sway bushings are trash, too.

Today, I noticed the whoever painted the car, painted right over the 'Mazda' sticker on the front number. Classy.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14

Yea my suspension was pretty trashed when I got mine too. It would bottom out on every little bump. I never did change the sway bushings though so maybe I should look into doing that. Right now I'm running a set of stock springs and I think some KYB stock-ish shocks. Nothing fancy, just had to get back to regular height if I was going to drive it in the snow. I had some ebay coilovers on there at first that had the car sitting so low you couldn't roll a soda can under it, lol.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu May 23, 2013 9:14

Started on the brakes (tear down, as I haven't picked up the parts yet). All came apart easy enough, broke one caliper bolt. Thankfully, O'Reilly has some in stock...no place else did. So, once I'm done with work, I'll wander over and pick everything up and slap it one.

Man, I'm glad this is a Colorado/Oklahoma car. Things not being rusted to hell sure make it a lot easier to work on.

Return to “Piston Vehicle”