'92 Miata: Budget Project Car

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:14

Drove around a little bit this weekend. Checked air pressure, had on front at 23 and one at 29. Both rears were around 26. Matched the fronts at 30, rears at 29. Felt a little better, rear still has a clunk I can't identify. Still need to get back to alignment shop. Pulls right.

My late evening shot after I backed into the garage:

[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:14

Got through a few things this morning. Replaced the steering rack bushings, changed the diff fluid, and replaced the fuel filter. The only parts stash I have remaining is a SS clutch line, slave cylinder, clutch fork boot, and 6 or 7 various lines/hoses. If any of the hoses I have left are vacuum, I'll swap them out, otherwise, I'm leaving everything as is until I pull the engine/tranny.

As such, I need to order a clutch kit, and once I get the engine out, inspect and replaced any items that need replacing. I don't plan on opening things up and rebuilding engine internals. I'll do the TB/WP while it's out.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:14

While the engine is out, i hear the coolant reroute is the thing to do. It's a pita with the engine still in the car.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:14

Sounds like track on the 16 th is the only thing left to do.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Sounds like track on the 16 th is the only thing left to do.

Saul: you accidentally logged in as Shadowden and posted this!

looks like we got 2 track whores now.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:14

Saul is a track Pimp and a car whore. I'm simply confused.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:14

Took the Miata for a stroll this evening. I need to move so I can have more interesting roads nearby. At any rate, the stalling issue hasn't been present since I changed the fuel filter, although it's way too small a sample size to conclude that resolved it.

One thing that I've discovered over the 19 months I've had this car, is the reaction it elicits. Mainly from kids, and even more specific, young kids. Nearly every, say, sub 10 year old almost stops and stares when they see the Miata. It's kind of cute.

Sadly, I tucked it away into the garage tonight. Hopefully we get a warmup eventually and I can get back on the road. I've thought of getting wheel dollies and pushing the car up against the wall during the winter months, when I'm not working on it.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14

Wheel dollies would be nice. I like the idea of the ones that are put in place, then jacked up. Summit sells them. haven't seen them, but seems like an easier way to go about getting the car up and down.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Wheel dollies would be nice. I like the idea of the ones that are put in place, then jacked up. Summit sells them. haven't seen them, but seems like an easier way to go about getting the car up and down.

Those do work really good.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14

I'll just get wheel dollies, put jack stands on them, and roll the car around on jackstands.

Ha.

It'll be moderately tight in the garage with the engine out and trying to clean and work with the car in the garage. I'll try and pick a good winter weather week when I can roll the Miata into the driveway, clean everything up, reassemble, then get it back in the garage.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:14

Ordered these guys for the Miata:

Adjustable rear upper control arms.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:14

So you can adjust camber?
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:14

erod550 wrote:So you can adjust camber?

Yep! Right now I can't get any better than around -4.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:14

Miata year in review:

A busy year, although not as busy as I thought it would be for the Miata. I got a few things accomplished, and quite a few I didn't. The joys of a project car. First off, the list of accomplishments:

• Corbeau FX1 Pro mounted to floor
  • New Carpet Installed
  • Boss Frog Cleaview Maxx Installed
  • Boss Frog Harness bar Installed
  • Corbeau 4 pt harnesses installed
  • Installed Flyin Miata frame rail braces
  • Swapped body panels, trunk, hood, passenger door/fender, rear bumper, front R lip.
  • Garage Vary rear finish panel/lights test fit. I won't consider it "installed" until I finally have it painted/blended into to the rear body panels.
  • Installed Willwood Brake kit, front. Miata sport brake kit rear.
  • Maintenance: bled brakes, swapped diff fluid, replaced fuel filter, alignment
  • Replaced all alignment bolts
  • Installed Poly ES bushings F/R control arms
  • Installed Superpro Poly Steering rack bushings

I think that's it for 2014.

For 2015, I'll finally be doing the FM happy meal set up, replacing whatever needs replacing while I have the engine out. I'm also most likely replacing the current springs with new FM springs (I currently have the Gen 1 springs, which sit about .5" lower), replacing the rear upper control arms with adjustable ones from FM. I also intend to pick up a second set of wheels/tires, and finish the bodywork. I have yet to figure out if I'll continue with the vinyl wrap, or just repaint red. Regardless, I do have plans for a couple of vinyl highlights on the car. I also plan on swapping the current turn signal/parking lights for the vented lights in the front bumper. Interior, I'll add a second Corbeau, mounted on low profile sliders. I'd like my son to be able to ride in it next year. I may replace the 4 point harness with 5 points, at least the driver's side. Or I just need to figure out how to adjust the current setup. So in list form:

• FM Happy Meal clutch/flywheel kit
  • FM Gen 2 Springs
  • Passenger Corbeau, slider mount
  • Bodywork
  • Second wheel/tire setup
  • Maintenance

That's all I can think of for now.

coloskydiver

Postby coloskydiver » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:14

You have made great progress this year and yes, these are the joys of a project car. You never get done what you want but is always worth it when it pays off. Now you just need to get off you arse and go do some autocross. You can at least drive you car and go have some fun with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 Nissan Nismo Frontier-Supercharged- SOLD
2006 Speed 6- SOLD
2008 Scion Xd- SOLD
1990 Miata- SuperCharged 331 Fuel Injected Small Block Ford V8-SOLD
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty- Current
2014 Factory Five 818S- In Progress

Return to “Piston Vehicle”