The Miata

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Re: The Miata

Postby Saul_Good » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:14

Although I'm not living in CO anymore, everyone here has been great so I still will update my progress on the Miata.

Last weekend I bought a rear differential with a 4.30 final drive. The 6spd came with a 3.909 final drive stock. Both have torsen LSD so no change there. After the swap, I drove it around for a bit and the acceleration is noticeable quicker which was to be expected. Couple w/the fact that the trans gears for the 6spd are also shorter than the 5spd trans, it feels like a added 20-25whp. I also, like how the car drops into a more favorable rpm/powerband after every upshift which also aids in the quicker accerleration. Unfortunately I do not have a baseline track to compare before/after laptimes so feel-of-the-pants will have to do -- feels awesome.

I plan to attend a Streets of Willow event on the 15th or 16th to start new baseline lap time and hopefully work my way down. Miata's with my level of tune/parts run 1:28 - 1:32s with the former being really hard to attain and the latter being more common. I'll be entering the car in the Roadster Cup (http://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com/ ... tion-class) in the Mod Class, with the plan to update how I do compared to the competition. I am participating in this class because of my tires (NT01), which I did not want to get rid to fit into a lower class.... aka I ain't wasting these tires!

Next season I plan to participate in the Street Class (which I should fit in despite my modifications) which requires 200tw or higher tires to play in.

TL;DR -- I got a new final drive, it's awesome, I love it. Now i'll compete in an actual miata competition.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:14

Sweet! I'm glad there is a supportive group there for you. Are you still going to post track vids?

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:14

Finally got back out on track this weekend. It was a Mazfest event and I was in the Roadster Cup. These guys are crazy fast but it was fun running in a series with similar cars.

Yes I stole these.
https://www.caliphotography.com/photos/ ... ge=5868718
https://www.caliphotography.com/photos/ ... ge=5877120

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:14

Results! Basically got murdered. I may need to detune the car to fit in a class where im more competitive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8pZxG ... 9hMlk/view

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:14

WOW you were 8 seconds off the fastest! what did he have in that NA?? I'm scared to ask what those FDs were running! you were the only NB?

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:14

Recap of the event. I'll try better next time. There's a pic of me in there somewhere.
http://xsroadstercup.com/2015/09/23/rou ... -speedway/

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:14

I'm so jealous...that looks like so much fun! Just proves that you don't need massive amounts of horsepower to have fun & run fast laps. You've got b@lls though. I'd be scared about playing "bumper cars" with that much traffic on the track.

Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the track again soon.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:14

FDEEZ wrote: I'd be scared about playing "bumper cars" with that much traffic on the track.
Not going to lie there's always risks. I mitigate by constantly watching my mirrors and awareness of what's going on in front of me, especially when a car starts acting up in front of me.

Like this guy in front of me 'warming up' his tires. I already noticed his over aggression and trying to push it on the warm up lap.
https://youtu.be/VRwTXJ4xd9o

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:14

Oh so THAT'S how you're supposed to warm your tires, I've been doing it incorrectly this whole time lol.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14

Well it finally happened. Racing breaks things. Nice little rod knock going. So for now I have a big garage ornament.

I'll be back.....

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14

Oh snap. See, you should have never moved to Cali.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:14

that sucks. Any build plans?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:that sucks. Any build plans?

Nothing crazy. Get it track worthy with some mods for reliability. We have miata racing series that are fun and competetive at my current mod/power level. If i go above that its a smaller field usually dominated by trailer queens.

Found a JDM motor (mechanically same as USDM minus the emission stuff) that are readily available. Just need to find time and $$ to get there...

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:14

I don't know how you do it. I'd have a hard time keeping my modifications within the class rules, I just love modding lol.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:I don't know how you do it. I'd have a hard time keeping my modifications within the class rules, I just love modding lol.

You just need a fun, competitive series available to run in. Then it becomes all about driving, and you'll mostly be buying tires, pads, and oil changes. Your car is GTA level build soon. You should start getting that seat time in, so you can set yourself up for your post-mil career as 'racecar driver'

Return to “Piston Vehicle”