The Miata

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Re: The Miata

Postby Saul_Good » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14

Let's see....

Bought a JDM/EUDM Intake manifold. It's has a bigger plenum and eliminates these butterfly valves the USDM. manifolds use for lowend torque. Its also supposed to move the power higher in the RPMs. I can take advantage of this with my Greddy EMU by adjusting my redline a little.

Since my motor is 1700 miles new I figured I would put a new fuel pump in. I ended up purchasing a fuel pump assembly with the plan to replace with a new/upgraded pump. When I received the assembly i noticed that the fuel pump had splice connectors in place which is a sign that the pump has been changed - it also looked new. I contacted the seller and he confirmed that the pump was new with less than 10k miles. Prior to parting the car, it was his buddies drift car whose pump had failed and was replaced before meeting its demise at a drift event. Basically i scored a preloved setup for $60!!

I figured since im messing with the FP i might as well get my fuel injectors professionally cleaned, so i headed over to RC Engineering and dropped off my set. Ill report back with the post cleaned spec sheet later.

So much there you have it. Im hoping to have all this in before outlr next Roadstercup event on Apr 17th.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:14

This is the before and after performance after getting my injectors professionally cleaned by RC Engineering. Basically it was 15% off before and then 0.8% off after the cleaning.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:14

The difference on the first injector is amazing. Really makes me want to do this. I'm sure mine haven't been done since new. I do run that Techron stuff through occasionally but I'm sure it does nothing compared to a proper cleaning and test.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:14

Dwduc wrote:The difference on the first injector is amazing. Really makes me want to do this. I'm sure mine haven't been done since new. I do run that Techron stuff through occasionally but I'm sure it does nothing compared to a proper cleaning and test.

It makes a huge difference. It took care of me flooding problem and it is really cheap.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:14

What are these "injectors" you speak of? Hehe.

That is quite a difference.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:14

This injector cleaning thing is intriguing. How would you know if they actually need it?

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:14

Shadowden wrote:This injector cleaning thing is intriguing. How would you know if they actually need it?

You don't. But I assume after 100k miles on an older car like mine, there HAD to be some degradation. As you can see these were degraded especially #1

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:14

Yep, that was a good investment getting those cleaned.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14

So after 2 weekends I finally got this EUDM/JDM intake manifold and cleaned injectors installed. I swear I was going to give up putting this manifold in due to the absolute unaccessibility of the lower bolts that held it in place. I was down to 2 bolts and I was going to break something on purpose.

I persevered and got it off, only to be greeted with almost similar difficulty putting the new manifold on. Amazingly everything went together rather quickly. Took it out for a spin and the topend along with my new revlimit felt great and more willing to rev thru the higher 5500-7500rpm ranges. Could be placebo affect.... when i get time i'll get it properly tuned.

It's also great to know my injectors are spraying nice and even too.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14

Man what a weekend!!

Went to the track. I was slow. But that's not what did it. I got a call from the wife that she got an appt to see an emergency dentist so i packed it up early and rushed home to watch the kids. On my way home I hit traffic and while in traffic I managed to get rearended (the irony)by some kid who was most likely texting. I saw him in my rear view hoping he'd stop. It was as if he braked after he hit me. Thats 6 accidents by oblivious people in 6mos. ... So here I go through the insurance process again.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14

that sucks.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:14

Didn't know they were targeting you saul!

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:14

I stand by what I said before, I'd let the kid fry.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14

New fuel pump and filter went in a few days ago. Too bad I can't test on the street.... it would require my driving to the desert and making Wangan runs. Hoping this will solve my high rpm 5th and 6th gear hesitation.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14

Even if you went to the desert I'm sure some jackass would show up to rear end you.

Return to “Piston Vehicle”