The S2000

speedjunkie

Re: The S2000

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:14

Wow. Functionally speaking, regarding the blind spot, the Amuse would definitely be the choice. However, the weight of that large window like you mentioned, and based on looks also, I'd definitely go for Mugen. I think it looks WAY better. That window on the Amuse just looks weird.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:14

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I almost pulled the trigger on the Mugen top today, but started having buyers remorse while going through checkout. I still like the convertible. going to get a new soft top installed with glass window and do some other stuff to the car...to be determined. really want to attack engine temps, but also want to get safety symmetry completed.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:14

Probably a wise idea. Smart decision.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:14

big decisions though; square up my safety equipment, provide symmetry to existing safety equipment, or cooling upgrades.

safety equipment:
The track will require hans device if a harness is used. my plans were to run rollbar and harness with a racing bucket. I have it all in place with the exception of a replacement bulkhead bar. that bar allows use of seat belts or harness without interference. but then I also need a hans device and probably an updated helmet. total cost would be around $1k.

symmetry for existing equipment
instead of running a harness when I'm by myself, I could also run standard 3 point. this is facilitated by replacing the bulkhead bar and buying a racing bucket and fixed mount for the passenger seat. unfortunately, since I already have a recaro pole position for the driver, I would match that. Best estimate on pulling that together is $1.1k.

cooling mods
Mishimoto oil cooler and radiator. Pretty important to running an s2000 hard at the track. $800. Might be able to throw some federal rsr tires on the 18" wheels. be able to track hard and meet safety standards with existing 3 point set up.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:14

Personally my focus would be on cooling, but I am biased as an FD owner.
Your seat held me very well with the 3 point But I didn't crash it either. Honestly I think the 3 point is sufficient for lapping days and the CTT stuff, If we were going wheel to wheel racing the harness and HANS would be higher on my list.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:14

That is sort of where I have ended up. A little torn about getting the other seat in place though.

Ordered convertible top today. Installer is booked until October 5, so I have my appointment then.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:14

Well, I'm heading down the reliability route. Have a hookup on a mishimoto x line radiator and fan kit locally. Will be ordering the oil cooler once I have that installed and feel comfortable with it. I also plan to get the AP2 valve retainers and cotters to replace the intake side. Finally, I would like to vent the front brakes https://robrobinette.com/S2000BrakeDucts.htm. This may present an obstacle to my previously anticipated oil cooler mounting idea.

I would prefer to have it all done by the end of September so the car is bulletproof by October track days...except the tires and brakes.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:14

Well, I have a mishimoto x line radiator and fan kit sitting in the truck. I happened across some silicone hoses by samco on s2ki and sent paypal for those (includes an adapter for coolant temperature sensor).

The guy I bought the radiator and fan kit from showed me his Mr. Sideways dual pass radiator. He explained the venting was better through the shroud when the car was at speed (he suggested 45 mph or higher) for cooling. I'd like to vent the fan shroud of the mishimoto kit to accomplish this same thing. Should make for a very nice and functional install once done. We also talked about his oil cooler and mounting. I'm moving more toward mounting it in front of the radiator and not using the area on the passenger side fake behind the fake duct. The main reason is that it introduces turbulence to that wheel because the backside would be vented through the fender liner and into the fender well. Also this presents a different air source that may result in varying tire temperatures between the two front tires...seems it would be similar to venting one brake but not the other, except in this case you would have varying tire temperatures which would change traction in left vs right hand corners. Not sure if this is a valid concern or not. Just trying to analyze it as much as possible before moving forward with anything.

Also decided that I need to rethink my air intake. Was just going to buy a new foam Uni filter to replace the existing gauze K&N filter. I need to check the space available to make sure it will fit the FIPK box, but may consider a whole new option which would run the intake down near the fake duct to get more cold air to it if I cut the duct out. As always, would be concerned about sucking water into the engine, so perhaps ducting to the bottom of the airbox would be a good compromise.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:14

No work done on the radiator fan shroud yet. I have a new aFe dry filter arriving Wednesday. Will be nice to have a clean filter on the car. It will give me an opportunity to really clean up the K&N too. Maybe it has some life left in it.

The guy I bought the Samco hoses from shipped them Friday. They will likely be here today or tomorrow. I stopped at the Littleton Pull and Pay Friday and picked up some OE pigtails to connect the mishimoto fan kit to the chassis harness and I have a gallon of fresh Honda Blue coolant. So, it's getting close to time to drop the radiator in. I would like to get it in prior to Thursday since I plan to go to HPR, but that is probably unlikely.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:14

I've never heard of aFe, is that a company that caters strictly to Honda/S2k?

I'm actually excited at the thought of sourcing the pigtails to be able to connect the aftermarket fans to the stock wiring, especially getting them cheap at the junkyard lol. I love clean little details like that.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:14

aFe is a pretty well rounded air filter/CAI/exhaust company. They offer something for just about anyone. I will be using their dry filter on my K&N FIPK. The K&N filter is extremely disgusting at the moment and it wash cleaned and reoiled fairly recently. I am thinking I did a horrible job with that. http://afepower.com/

Yep, at $1.99/pigtail, it makes a lot of sense. One of the neat things about Honda is that there are a ton of overlapping parts and there are always civics and accords in the yard. On my quick walk to find one, I did see a Supra that was completely stripped. I only went two rows in. Didn't walk the entire import section to see if anything else of interest was in there.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14

Last night the radiator cap (T1R F-type from Evasive motorsport) and Samco hoses (bought used from s2ki.com) came in the mail. So I now have everything I need to install the radiator except some foam to seal off the openings around it. I'll pick that up today.

I was a little disappointed with the hoses I got. I noticed a couple small wear marks, but they don't seem like they will leak and they are pretty dirty (I like clean engine bays). Also, they were sold as having a coupler in them for a temp thermostat. They did have one, but it looked home brewed and is made out of steel. Being homebrewed is not a problem for me, as I plan to homebrew the replacement. The problem for me is the oxidation on the outside of the steel pipe and the fact that they used a steel pipe. Planning to replace with aluminum. Will have DW weld a bung to it for a future sensor or see if he will let me.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14

Do you want to borrow that funnel?

Clean the hoses with WD-40 and they will look like new.

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14

Good tip on WD 40. No issue with Silicone hoses?

I think I will purchase a funnel. I suspect if I am tracking the car that I will be bleeding it in the future more often.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:14

My Car Blog

Return to “Piston Vehicle”