Project: Mazdaspeed3 Sedan (AA's build thread)

AuroraAxela

Project: Mazdaspeed3 Sedan (AA's build thread)

Postby AuroraAxela » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14

The time has come to start my own build thread. This will be a long build due to the complexity (and cost) of the goal, but it should be a fun time.

The mission: convert a Mazda Axela sedan into a car comparable to its MS3 cousin, that is all around fun to drive.

Since the Mazda 3 "i" was only available for sedans with the smaller engine, I will carry that over to the project, and build a Mazdaspeed3 "i" sedan with a 2.0L turbo.

The car:
2006 Mazda 3i Touring

Why, you might ask? Because I maintain that
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"][SIZE="3"]2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT[/SIZE][/color]

[SIZE="1"][color="Blue"][color="Blue"]POWERTRAIN: GTX3067R . Cobb AP . Cobb 3-port . Autotech internals . HTP 3" intake . cp-e FMIC . Forge v1 BPV . TWM STS . CNT Turboback
NGK 1-step colder . Bosch 3-bar . cp-e xFlex™ RMM/TMM/PMM . CorkSport recirc tube . Kosmic EGR delete
SUSPENSION: K-Sport coilovers . Whiteline RSB . custom MS6 wheels
EXTERIOR: cp-e TowPlate . DDM Tuning 5000K HID low/fog
INTERIOR: Defi boost gauge/cp-e defroster mount . NRG shift knob . CorkSport LEDs[/color][/color][/SIZE]

AuroraAxela

First upgrade done was adding a Mazdaspeed 3 exhaust system. Not only does this have a nice sound like aftermarket exhaust systems, the bigger diameter allows the engine to breathe better, as well as being good for when the engine finally goes turbo.

And damn, it's loud...

Full details of this mod can be found here: http://www.coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7870
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="1"][color="Blue"][color="Blue"]POWERTRAIN: GTX3067R . Cobb AP . Cobb 3-port . Autotech internals . HTP 3" intake . cp-e FMIC . Forge v1 BPV . TWM STS . CNT Turboback
NGK 1-step colder . Bosch 3-bar . cp-e xFlex™ RMM/TMM/PMM . CorkSport recirc tube . Kosmic EGR delete
INTERIOR: Defi boost gauge/cp-e defroster mount . NRG shift knob . CorkSport LEDs[/color][/color][/SIZE]

AuroraAxela

Mazdaspeed 3 sway bars have been added. These are a much stiffer bar than the MZ3 stock, and make the cornering much nicer. After getting used to them and how they react, I find my turns feel much more controlled and accurate (shocker, right?).

You need to convert the rear sway bar end links on the MZ3 from 10mm to 12mm to properly fit without clunks/noises. This can be done either by making custom sleeves. After destroying the first link with the sleeve,

I ended up just buying a pair of Mazdaspeed 3 links from Mazda. Perfect fit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14

BTW, i saw a pic with a MZ3 with speed wheels, looked pretty sweet.

its coming along man. looks good!

KILLER_VIZ

Postby KILLER_VIZ » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14

Good start bud. I wanna hear the speed exhaust on your ride.

AuroraAxela

Currently, all the other modifications at this point are largely cosmetic. I added the wing, the fog lights, and rebadged to "Axela". Interior LED kit from Corksport makes the interior look nice at night. Easy to see, too :) Pics to follow soon.

Throttle body ground and a Corksport SRI both done, gives it a crisper throttle response, and a little bit more go.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14

Good Job chris. I like the way you are putting your thread together too. Should be easy to follow.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14

I've always liked the Mazda3 sedans (1st gen), but the MS3 hatch (1st gen) is one of the best looking sport compacts out there. Sorry man, lol.

Good luck with the build though. You'll catch a lot of people off guard if you get the MS3 drivetrain in there.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14

In regards to the sedans > hatches:
Which is the sedan and which is the hatch?
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14

Learjet45 wrote:In regards to the sedans > hatches:
Which is the sedan and which is the hatch?

The bottom one, obviously. What's your point? We're not talking about the Atenza. If you're trying to stir up the hatch/sedan debate, go start a thread on it. If you want to creatively/constructively discuss my SEDAN build, welcome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14

well, first we have to cut the the back side of the roof off, then find a junked hatch-back.....

LOL!

No worries Chris, i'll help you any time i can!!

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14

Nah. But I will possibly look into putting MS3 fenders/hood/nose on... requires a bit of tweaking.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14

AuroraAxela wrote:The bottom one, obviously. What's your point? We're not talking about the Atenza. If you're trying to stir up the hatch/sedan debate, go start a thread on it. If you want to creatively/constructively discuss my SEDAN build, welcome.

Just sayin'. It's quite possible to have sexy sedans too (I prefer the look of sedans but the functionality of hatches is nice).

I know with the speed6 to swap the hood requires a whole front end swap, but since the speed6 and normal 6 are the same body style I think that would work better than the 3, no? I think it' would be nice to keep the 3 looking as stock as possible and make it a real sleeper.

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14

So, after helping Mortose with his exhaust system, we played around with swapping wheels to answer some questions regarding the 18s and Mazdaspeed brakes.

Here's my stock wheels.....

and here's the 18s!

Needless to say, the decision to move forward with 18" Speed wheels is a go. Still leaning toward Speed6 wheels, though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14

This is just my opinion, but I much prefer the Speed6 wheels over the Speed3 wheels.

Return to “Piston Vehicle”