Thoughts on Quickjacks?

Vehicle storage, tools, garage and shop organization
Huzer

Thoughts on Quickjacks?

Postby Huzer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14

Yes, my garage *could* fit a MaxJax or some other lift into it. However, I have a wife, and a kid, and they have stuff, so a dedicated lift is out of the question. I've been thinking of picking up a Quicklift. If you're not familiar: http://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-syste ... -lift.html

Waste of money? I'm sure the Cougar will be up and down quite a bit once I finally get a chance to start wrenching on it. One downside is storage when not in use, although for the most part, they could probably live under the Cougar and not take up any more space.

Shadowden

Re: Thoughts on Quickjacks?

Postby Shadowden » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14

Looks like a great solution. At first I was going to say it would prevent doing driveline work, but since the middle is open, not a problem.

I agree with storing it under the cougar.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14

I think the biggest problem would be tranny removal and install. Yes I understand it is open but I think it would get in the way and be a PITA. YOu could also just use regular jacks and stands for that.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:I think the biggest problem would be tranny removal and install. Yes I understand it is open but I think it would get in the way and be a PITA. YOu could also just use regular jacks and stands for that.

I considered that rationale even if the bottom was obstructed from working on the car. If the bottom is obstructed preventing exhaust and driveline work, it may not be a huge deal since as you say, for those things you use jackstands. Not like Huzer will be swapping exhausts and driveline components regularly.

Then saying that, If you are okay with jackstands and know the car will be up for an extended period just leave it up and you can save $1k. Jackstands that you can roll the car around on would be ideal(Jackstand plus dolly).

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:14

The bulk of what I'd be doing, I'm sure, would be suspension related. I don't have a purchase imminent, but I'm mulling getting this sometime down the road. The Cougar is definitely a long term project. I'd also help with oil changes, etc with the other vehicles.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:14

Huzer, you might bump it up. Every time you lift the car not using it, you lose the opportunity to pay off your investment. Then again, you might find you really don't want it...

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14

I think this is the same jack (or the same kind anyway) that Wine Country sells on their site. I've been seriously thinking about getting this also. It gets really old using a jack and jack stands. Although most of the time I roll under the car along the side, right where this jack is. I still think this would be a good alternative to a lift.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Huzer, you might bump it up. Every time you lift the car not using it, you lose the opportunity to pay off your investment. Then again, you might find you really don't want it...

Progress on the Cougar will most likely be quite slow, so I've got time before I truly would use it often. Part of me says to get the larger one so I'd be able to work on the truck as well.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:14

I've been considering one of these as well, they look super compact and handy. I could get away with the lighter duty model, which I've seem for sale for around $875 and free freight.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun May 08, 2016 9:14

My wife is surprisingly supportive about getting a lift. She actually said we should get a 4 post lift. Or as she phrased it "get one of those ones where you can put the Cougar in the air and we can put stuff under it, maybe another car or something." I still think the Quickjack is a better option for me, and my garage.

Return to “Garage, Storage, and Tool Discussion”