New Garage, new plans

Vehicle storage, tools, garage and shop organization
Huzer

Re: New Garage, new plans

Postby Huzer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:14

Thanks. The best part of that location is that I'll always have room to work there. Initially, when I though of having the bench along the back wall, I would've had to move a vehicle to be comfortable working at the bench. The only downside is that it's as far away from the Cougar as it possibly can be. I'll keep my rolling cart. Other than the fridge/bench wall, my goal is nothing else on the floor. At least nothing that can't roll easily.

I thinking that when winter comes, I'll get some wheel dollies, and be able to move the Cougar into the dead space between the 2 door and 1 door garage opening. We'll be able to get all three vehicles in there comfortably, then.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed May 04, 2016 9:14

Yes, these take away from my "mostly clean wall" strategy, but the fact of the matter is that I have a wife and son that will also have things in the garage. Mostly toys and oddly shaped items. I'll throw car parts or something in them, too. The bins are Husky Stackable storage bins, $15 each at Home Depot, a decent size, and are predrilled for 16" centers. Hung them with some lag screws and washers. The bottom bins rest on a bump out, which makes them a little sturdier as well. Nothing heavy will be stored in them anyway. With the bump out, they don't stick out terribly far from the back wall that they're secured to. Maybe about 10" or so. I believe they're 17" deep, overall. The tags remove easily, too. I took them off after I snapped the picture.

I may add some shelves over them for the small compressor, miter saw, and other odds and ends.

IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG (417.87 KiB) Viewed 5531 times

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed May 04, 2016 9:14

I'd like to hear more about your goal for clean wall space. My goal is clear floor space. The two things seem like they would be at odds with each other.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed May 04, 2016 9:14

Clean being more of a visual term, rather than meaning nothing on the walls. I don't like open bins. My wife doesn't like cabinets because of the "out of sight out of mind" factor. I think once they're full of random items, it'll just appear a littler more cluttered. The bins themselves, I like.

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri May 06, 2016 9:14

I'm actually a fan of those open bins for oddly shaped items. Case in point, perfect for holding those balls.
My ball selection is lacking these days, so I'd probably only need one bin.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun May 08, 2016 9:14

Thanks, tut. The bins are now full of outdoor toys, which is good, as it was their purpose! I sold the old sideboard we had stored behind the Cougar last night, and will be making a donation run this afternoon. That will get the garage in a nearly organized state...definitely a functional state. Next up will be a shelf above the bins, figuring out scrap wood storage, and paint for the unpainted backwall/ceiling areas.

I'm trying to convince my wife to store the garbage/recycle containers outside. Our HOA allows it if they aren't visible from the street. Convenience may win, though, as it certainly is easy to just open the door and toss stuff in the containers when needed.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon May 09, 2016 9:14

I can take a pic of how I did my scrap wood storage. I'm sure you didn't see it since it is to the side of the door up high.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon May 09, 2016 9:14

I have a small recycle bin inside the garage, but the big bins are outside. trash in the garage doesn't work for me. I take out the trash 95% of the time, so I will go through the extra effort of unlocking a door and opening it to prevent smell in the garage.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed May 11, 2016 9:14

Agreed about in-garage garbage. Until we relandscape the back yard so we can hide the garbage cans, they need to stay inside.

No other progress yet.

Number2

Postby Number2 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:14

Liking the storage bin idea. Looks clean sir!

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun May 22, 2016 9:14

Thanks. I added 2 more bins to the wall. I was out there the other night, I definitely need to add some lighting out there. We had a bbq on Friday, and had someone trying to talk me into getting a 4 post lift. He's a friend of my mother-in-law, an engineer for TRD for Furniture Row racing. I told him to bring me a lift, and I'll use it! Ha. I think the best I'll get is some TRD swag for the garage.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:14

I painted the back wall behind the Cougar over the weekend. Well, I primed it. I'll repaint the entire garage at some point, but even just having primer on there makes it look a ton better. I used that portion of the wall as a projection screen this weekend, as I had my mini projector out there watching the Le Mans race as I puttered around in the garage.

I still have to build some wall shelves, and some over the garage door shelves. Overhead is where the larger scrapwood pieces will go. Once I get those things done, I'll be able to drywall the north wall in the garage, as it's currently just exposed studs. That will also get me to the point of nothing on the floor that isn't on wheels. That will make eventually finishing the floor easier.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:14

Reorganized to the garage a bit this weekend. No pics yet...I moved the fridge onto the back wall in the garage, and slid my workbench down on the sidewall. We basically did a fridge shuffle...we replaced our kitchen fridge, moved that one to the garage, and the old white one is going to my brother in law.

Right now, the large trash/recycle bins are next to the bench, but those will be relocated. I'm letting the dust settle after rehanging the cabinets to see what I want to do next. All of this started because the new garage fridge is bigger and wouldn't fit in the old space conveniently. I prefer my bench being further from the stairs and closer to the outside, even if it is only a couple of feet.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:14

Added some shelves this weekend. I left enough room on the standards in case I want to add a third shelf. Other than lightning, I'd say the big bay is effectively done. I'll add some shelves at the end of the cabinets to store magazines/manuals. I had thought of adding a TV or monitor out there in that space, too. The Cougar bay, I still need to finish the walls and figure out some wall storage for the scrap wood. I'll build another version of my jack stand and ramp shelf that I had in the old garage and may build a folding table along that wall as well.

The shelves are 8' x 24" deep. Half the stuff on the shelves needs to be purged, but at least it's off the floor for now.
Attachments
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG (603.61 KiB) Viewed 5333 times
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG (515.25 KiB) Viewed 5333 times

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:14

Nice. That really makes me want to clean up my garage.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Return to “Garage, Storage, and Tool Discussion”