Garage remodel

Vehicle storage, tools, garage and shop organization
Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:14

Not yet. I'm going to build a lean-to shed in the spring. The HOA allows lean-tos, but not free standing sheds (although they don't enforce that, either). I debated putting construction/woodworking in the basement, but then I'd have to lug lumber into the basement to cut. That doesn't sound fun. Ideally, I'll get all of the yard stuff out of the garage, and hopefully store vehicles, my hand tools, detailing stuff, and that's about it for the garage. I still would like to add outlets, change the lighting, figure out floor coverings, and call it good.

Right now, it's assorted car parts in bins, unwashed tools (ugh), and things my wife decides she doesn't want in the pantry that magically appear in the garage.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14

Do you have a sketch or web site for the lean to? I was told I could possibly do a good sized freestanding shed, but since we are interested in moving closer to the southern Denver metro, I was told that spending money on a shed was low priority (rightfully). However, I want the yard tools and mower out of the garage, eliminate some bench space in the front of the garage and replace that with a fold up steel table (like your wooden one). I think this would cut down on stuff just laying there, make it easier to do service on the avalanche, and give me a better table for clamping metal to for welding. The storage under that area will get shifted to the adjacent wall that was haphazardly utilized and/or a loft in the 3rd bay.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14

Somewhat similar to this in size/function. http://www.yardlinespecialevents.com/shed-systems/victoria-8x4-shed/ I haven't decided if I'll only go out 4'. Makes sense in terms of using lumber sizing effectively, but I'd like it to be a tad larger.

The siding, however, will match our current siding and blend with the house. There are a few other neighbors that have done the same, one with a large enough side yard that they added a 3rd stall to their garage. Our's isn't quite big enough, but we can get a decent enough shed there to get a significant amount of stuff out of the garage.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14

Seems a little on the expensive side. 4' would crowd down pretty quickly it seems, especially since the wall framing takes ~7" of that space right away. Would you anchor it to the side of your house? Looking at it, I think that would be how I would go and have it share the wall outside of the 3rd garage bay. Not happening anytime soon though.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Seems a little on the expensive side. 4' would crowd down pretty quickly it seems, especially since the wall framing takes ~7" of that space right away. Would you anchor it to the side of your house? Looking at it, I think that would be how I would go and have it share the wall outside of the 3rd garage bay. Not happening anytime soon though.

I won't be getting that, I'll be building our own. But walking through one in Costco is what got me on that design a little bit. I haven't decided on the end doors, or large door on the long side, as I can still use the doors to hang items, thus not losing a ton of wall space (if I go with the large door). I can probably go out as far as 6'. Yes, I'll anchor it to the house.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14

It is really easy to build a shed. Let me know if you need help.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14

Planning to accomplish some work on my garage this weekend. Hoping to deconstruct some poorly used tabletop space for cleaner (i.e. closed door) storage.

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14

Expensive? Depends. For the guy who doesn't know how or want to invest the time, I'd say it's a viable option. I too would like an outdoor storage facility, but lack adequate space and proper locale. First world problems be a biat..
one and one makes two, together we are free

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:14

My angled corner shelf wasn't good for much, so I knocked it down. Using that, and some other scraps, I whipped together this shelf yesterday. I was cleaning out my cabinet and found the FM sticker that I put on there as well. Helps get the jack stands off the floor, and the ramps a little easier to deal with. I made it wide enough so that I was able to get into three studs.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14

Next phase is heat. I'll either just use a propane bottle heater or pick up a small electric, but for the winter work I have planned on the Miata, I need a heater!

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:14

I really like that shelf. I think I'll copy you on that one.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:I really like that shelf. I think I'll copy you on that one.

Thanks. I'd remembered seeing something similar online and just went by memory. I was tired of some of the scrap wood I had cluttering things up and decided to make something with it. ha!

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14

I'm slowly getting things off the side wall where the garden tools are. My goal is to make another, but smaller, folding table on that side of the garage. Right now, I'm storing a neighbor's snowball's until he gets back this weekend. Then, I can get back to getting my Miata workspace in order.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14

Did you end up picking up a heater? Not really needed now, but winter is a short 8 months away. I ended up with a Mr. Buddy Proheater that runs off of a propane bottle. The thing is loud! Heats up the space decent enough though, especially when coupled with my halogen work lamps.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:14

I didn't, as I never worked on the car when it was cold.

Right now, on one four foot section of wall track, all I have on it are some folding lawn chairs and a ladder. I'll relocate those today and reclaim that space. That will leave one section left with the yard tools on it. I'm planning on either a 5 or 6 foot folding table for that wall, and that table will be prepped/used for the vise.

After that, I need to find storage space for the table saw. Hauling it to the basement does not seem like a great idea, so I may be stuck with it as is and wheeling it out of the way until I get a shed.

Return to “Garage, Storage, and Tool Discussion”