RM21 - Formula SAE Car

General Car Related Discussion
Learjet45

RM21 - Formula SAE Car

Postby Learjet45 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:14

Howdy folks!

As some of you might recall, I'm on the Formula SAE team here at my school, and we recently unveiled our newest vehicle, RM21. I figured a good amount of you would be interested in seeing it since this is a car forum after all, and there's also a good amount of members that autocross as well.

Without further ado, I present you with Rensselaer M[b]otorsport's [b]21st vehicle, RM21! (get it? :D)

There's a full gallery posted on our website here if you want to see some more pictures!
http://www.formularpi.org/media/photo-g ... -roll-out/

Notable changes from last year's car include the transition from our old hybrid frame design consisting of both steel tubes and structural carbon fiber panels to a fully steel tube space frame and inclusion of an aero kit (front and rear wings, first time since 2006 we've successfully completed an aero kit that will run on the car).
The car hasn't actually run under it's own power yet or even had the engine start, although we're extremely close to being ready to drive. The wiring harness is ~90% complete, and we need to have our rear hubs hardened. Other than that, there's only small projects left to complete which can all be finished before we get hubs back, so hopefully I'll have a video of the car driving or on our dyno soon!

FDEEZ

Re: RM21 - Formula SAE Car

Postby FDEEZ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:14

Looks like a giant sausage fest...reminds me of my undergrad program, lol.

How many sensors are on the RM21?

Learjet45

Re: RM21 - Formula SAE Car

Postby Learjet45 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:14

You would be correct. Typically it is quite the sausage fest. I think we have 5 girls on the team at the moment which is quite possibly the most we've ever had.

There's going to be a lot more sensors on the car this year than we've had previously. I know we're going to have custom designed corner modules on each upright for data collection. What all they record though I don't know off the top of my head since that's not my department (I made the wings for the car). I'll try and find out though!

Return to “Car Chat”