11%
E30 BMW 325i / 325is
22%
E36 BMW 325i / 325is / 328i / 328is
No votes

Total votes: 9

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14

D Walker wrote:Personally, I would say its time to get an adult car.

Ouch, I felt the burn on that one! :lol:

To be honest, I really happen to like my VW Golf R and feel as though it's an adult-ish car. Sure, on paper it appears as though it competes with the EVO/STI (turbo-4, AWD, 4-doors, ect), but in real life application, it has very little in common with them. The materials, fit, finish & build quality easily rival my old BMW 335xi & Infiniti G37x. It's a nice cabin to be inside for sure. It also has my own ideal blend of ride quality and entertaining handling; firm without being jarring or wearing. I'm also a big fan of the VW's subtle styling; I've had it for several months now and am yet to have any sideways-hat wearing kid try to race me at a light. Hell, no one even knows what it is! A very far cry from my STI of old...

Before I bought my Golf R, I was actually looking at the Audi A4 Quattro and BMW 328xi. I just couldn't get past how much more practical and sporty the Golf R was; for less money without sacrificing build quality or using cheap materials and all while having more standard features and checking all of my "need/want" boxes. Tremendous value for someone looking into that market (i.e. wants a certifiably "nice car", that's peppy, handles well, is AWD, comes in a manual and seats my family of 4). The extra power / performance and more usable backseat & trunk were just icing on the cake... That and VW didn't charge for each additional feature that should have come standard on the Audi & BMW but didn't. The fact that it's a low volume / limited production vehicle is also a nice little bonus (it certainly doesn't hurt long term residuals!). :)

So, to me, I feel as though I do have an "adult car". I suppose some people might disagree. To each their own.

Enough about that though.... as far as the list you've built is concerned, I would love to own pretty much any of those cars to be sure! Although, for me it just doesn't make sense. Allow me to explain:

-First and foremost, I don't have an extra $20k laying around; especially not after closing on my house. Even if I did, I could not justify spending it on a depreciating object like a project car. Car's aren't investments to me- my house will be an investment, my pension is an investment, my financial portfolio is an investment. Cars? Not so much. They're both a need and a want. A project car is 100% in the "want" category, and for that, I cannot bring myself to throw such a large amount of money at it, as there are other areas I would rather invest / spend cash on that scale. I'm also not willing to pull out a loan on something as frivolous as a project car. I have self-imposed limitations that are based on my own comfort levels and how much of a risk I'm willing to take for something that is essentially only a hobby.

-You mentioned buying a car that would "retain it's value"... interesting concept. Please see the cars listed in the poll at that top of the thread. They all have 1 thing in common: they've all pretty much bottomed out in the depreciation department. This is by design. Take the NA Miata for instance; generally, you can pick one up in good shape with 120k miles on it for around $3000. That same Miata, you can drive for 30k miles and when you sell it with 150k miles on it, assuming it's been maintained, you can expect to sell it for around the same price you bought it for. Talk about retaining value- cars that have stopped depreciating are hard to beat.

-I understand you're a hardcore track guy and I respect that. However, someone like myself would never fathom spending $30k in mods on a $3500 car. Although I would like to note a formula I've followed on previous cars with great success: I purchase only bolt-on parts & attempt to purchase them used if possible. I perform my own installations (and tuning if I'm familiar with the EM software). When it comes time to sell the vehicle, put stock parts back on and sell the aftermarket parts online to help recoup losses. This has worked numerous times for me in the past. On average I've been able to recoup ~75%-85% of what I have spent on parts, not counting consumables of course. There's still a loss there, but nowhere near the loss that would have been taken if I just sold the vehicle as is (modified) and nowhere near that levels inferred above. I'm just not that hardcore anymore I suppose.

-Most of the cars you listed would also be considerably more costly to maintain than the budget cars I listed. For a vehicle that I still plan on driving to work 1-2 times a week, that's something significant of note. Also, the price of consumables and modifications for said vehicles would be outrageous. Far beyond what I would be comfortable spending with my lowly civil servant budget. I'm not quite "baller status". ;) :lol:

-Another area of concern of mine would be putting the car into a wall while pushing it too hard. While unlikely, it's still a legitimate concern. Easy (ish) to walk away from a $3500 investment... not so easy to walk away from a $20,000 investment... especially since most insurance companies would tell me to go pound sand if the accident happened on a track.

Overall, I hear what you're saying, which is basically to purchase a car that was designed to be a proper sports car to begin with (vs a souped up econobox). I agree with the logic, which is why cheaper sports cars like the Miata, MR2, Porsche 944 ect make sense. However, the cars you've listed are considerably larger investments than I'm willing to make. Project cars are purely emotional in nature, and while my emotions might tug on my wallet from time to time, well, let's just say I'm not quite emotional enough to invest nearly that much cash. :lol:

I'm not a guy whose looking to professionally race. I'm just a guy who likes to tinker with machines and enjoys some good automotive recreation occasionally on the weekend. My son is also getting older, so having an inexpensive machine I can work on with him in our free time is also appealing. :)

While I appreciate your insight, I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick to cars that are within my budget for the time being. Thanks anyway! :)
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

roninsoldier83

Huzer wrote:Sure...although wait until after I've swapped in the new suspension bits. Right now, I'm riding on blown shocks. The Illuminas and FM springs go on Aug 3rd.

Sounds good! I'll be sure to take you up on it!

RX-7 Chris wrote:You could always just show up on the 3rd.

Honestly, I would love to, but I work graveyards that include me working both Friday and Saturday nights... so, I'll actually be asleep most of the day on the 3rd. :(

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14

D Walker wrote:Mercedes AMG C63- serious car, really bad ### and you can drive it anywhere. I nearly bought one for 14k in immaculate condition

If you saw a C63 AMG in perfect condition for 14k, how did you not buy it and at least flip it? They're worth almost 3x that much. Blue book on a 2009 says 38k.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14

Well said. post 16
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

roninsoldier83

erod550 wrote:I didn't get nickel and dimed by my Miata. Including purchase price, a motor swap (to a lower mileage 1.6L, not a V8 ;)), and a new top, along with other odds and ends, I have about 5k into mine. Haven't spent anything on it other than regular maintenance in the last 2 years. They are quite reliable once you fix whatever was neglected by the previous owner.

Of course I would love to have most of the other cars that D Walker listed but I can only afford two 20k+ cars at a time, lol. Maybe when the Mustang is paid off. A C63 AMG or a boosted 996 would be delicious.

+1

Between me and the little lady, we're already carrying 2 car notes. I can't possibly justify a third car loan for something that isn't needed (i.e. a project car). I guess I'm just a cheap bastard!

With that said, I wouldn't kick any of those vehicles out of my garage!

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:Well said. post 16

Can we get a mod to show Chris the 'thank you' button? :lol:
one and one makes two, together we are free

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14

I almost did buy the c63 and flip it, but I missed out while I was wrestling with the decision.

As for the idea of a 20k car vs a 3500 car, let me note that I see lots of guys with the intention to buy a cheap car and fix it up, then sell a half completed 240/ls swap for 1500 bucks, or a dsm that they have dumped $$$ after $$$ into for almost no money. In fact, I know a guy right now trying to dump a 1g Eclipse with 49k plus into it for 18k, and he won't get it. Another guy I know had an Evo with well over a hundred Grand spent on it and he is praying to sell it for 25k, and that likely but a hell of a loss. I have a 240 sr swapped in my shop right now the owner is hoping to get 4k for, and he might, but there is well over 20k in this car

Now, I did a 996 supercharger a while back. Owner bought the car for 22k, which was a tick high but it was a nicer car, supercharger was 9k installed, and he has been offered 35k for the car.
Cars that have value, always will. Cars that were cheap shitboxes when new will remain shitboxes, no matter how you "improve" them.

The miata is a little different, they are classic in a way the others are not, and appeal to a wide range of buyers.

Cars are a huge investment, and should never be viewed as anything else. I try very hard to not lose money on cars, and that means being realistic about what they are and are not.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

BravoDelta

Postby BravoDelta » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14

5th gen or 4th gen Honda Prelude with a H22? I have a 5th gen that I love to daily drive, comfortable, great handling, great gas mileage, a decent amount of power from Honda's "big block" 4 cyl, not an econo-box shape, and its not a Civic lol
Mazdaspeed3 by BenWest2012, on Flickr

anywereiroam

Postby anywereiroam » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14

Get an e30 and do a 406 stroker ls motor,
Or get an e46 m3

DJ

Postby DJ » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14

Well id do an e30 because their is alot of parts available. Its damn sexy. Fun to drive. I owned one. Lol. I wouldnt do a Honda because they get stolen alottt. I put a kill switch in mine. But it was a beast in the snow even slammed. Way better than my Mazda. I wouldnt do mr2s they are hell to work on. E36 parts are to expensive still. Plus you wouldnt find a clean one for your price. Definitily not the vw because of parts are expensive and they are hard to find clean and not smellung of crayola crayons.
~David

2008 Mazdaspeed 3 True Red
PTE 5858
JMF intake manifold
Overspeed motorsports built engine
Cpe exhaust manifold
Blah blah blah insert 15k more in mods here
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 Cosmic Blue
Some mods but nothing crazy yet.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:14

D Walker wrote:Cars are a huge investment, and should never be viewed as anything else.

Well sir, I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on that point. I suppose people can have variations of their own definitions of investment; mine is simple and traditional in nature: the investing of money for profit / capital gain. Unfortunately, as vehicle's age and you rack up miles on them, they depreciate by nature. I cannot see a depreciating asset as a lucrative investment; especially not when the asset requires costly expenditures like regular maintenance, registration, additional insurance costs, ect.

Sure, there's going to be exceptions, such as incredibly rare limited edition vehicles with a high market demand and even those cars are going to need a lengthy period of time (typically decades) to see any meaningful appreciation. Of those vehicles that do bring capital gains, the most costly/lucrative specimens are generally extremely well maintained, have low mileage and are kept relatively stock. The act of using the vehicle as a partial daily driver & track machine that would see a significant amount of abuse and moderate modification, would most certainly lead one to believe the value of said vehicle would undoubtedly decrease over time. A tasteful modification *might* increase the perceived value of a vehicle (highly debatable in most cases), but as a general rule you are not going to get the money out of a modification that you put into it (to include the part, shipping, installation, tuning ect). As a shop owner, I'm sure you're very well aware of that fact.

Rare special edition vehicles not withstanding, the other 99.9% of cars are going to lose value as their mileage increases, until they hit a certain point where their values cease to decrease... taking your potential for loss to a minimum... hence the list of fully depreciated cars I posted above...

To a man like myself, I understand that it is not a question of if this project is going to cost money in the long-term; but rather how much I am willing to contribute to a hobby / interest / utility of mine? The answer to that question is found by pondering my own interest level and cross referencing that interest with my budget. Again, hence the list of vehicles & criteria I posted.

As far as spending ludicrous sums of money on an inexpensive car goes, well, I couldn't hardly fathom the idea... and regardless of the experiences you've had with customers, this isn't exactly my first rodeo. ;)

Again, I appreciate your concern, but I'm going to have to insist I stick with my original plan. Unless of course other board members decide they would like to donate large sums of money into my bank account. :D I won't hold my breath!!

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:14

BravoDelta wrote:5th gen or 4th gen Honda Prelude with a H22? I have a 5th gen that I love to daily drive, comfortable, great handling, great gas mileage, a decent amount of power from Honda's "big block" 4 cyl, not an econo-box shape, and its not a Civic lol

Duly noted. I'll keep that in the back of my mind. :)

anywereiroam wrote:Get an e30 and do a 406 stroker ls motor,
Or get an e46 m3

While those both sound like interesting vehicles, unfortunately they're a good bit outside of my budget. If only my employer (per se) would seek to bestow me with more money for said projects! :lol:

DJ wrote:Well id do an e30 because their is alot of parts available. Its damn sexy. Fun to drive. I owned one. Lol. I wouldnt do a Honda because they get stolen alottt. I put a kill switch in mine. But it was a beast in the snow even slammed. Way better than my Mazda. I wouldnt do mr2s they are hell to work on. E36 parts are to expensive still. Plus you wouldnt find a clean one for your price. Definitily not the vw because of parts are expensive and they are hard to find clean and not smellung of crayola crayons.

You know, I've wanted an E30 for quite a while for those exact reasons... it just becomes harder to justify when the E36 has come down in value to the point where they both have essentially the same price tags....

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:14

So, I've done a bit of thinking and test driving in the last few months... and I think I'm going to go with a car that's actually not on the list. :D Although it is "close enough".

I've decided to save up a bit of extra cash and pickup a 1999-2000 NB Miata. I test drove one recently and it made me a bit nostalgic about my old blue '90 Miata. The way I figure it, the '99-'00 NB's have similar curb weights as the 94-95's, but with the better engine (more power, better flowing head, more aggressive cams, ect), a factory knock sensor, more aggressive FD ratio, more chassis bracing, glass rear window, ect. Really, it just seems like a factory modded NA Miata, sans pop-up headlights (<---which I will admit, are classic!). It felt a lot like the last NA I drove, only just a bit sharper.

As I understand it, the 99-00 NB's have about the same interior room as the NA's. Which, after taking one for a spin recently, I couldn't tell the difference. Leg and hip room was perfectly fine; head room was obviously not an issue with the top down, but with the top up, my hair was barely touching the roof- a good foamectomy would likely cure that.

I know they made quite a few changes to the '01+ cars, like changing the seats which took away from interior space; they also gained a bit of weight (90-150 lbs) and added VVT, which as I understand it, is detrimental if ever boosted. As such, I think I'll just stick to the 99-00 cars. Preferably a 6-speed if I can find one, but if not, no big deal. I almost forgot how smooth the old 5-speeds on those cars can be! My VW's shifter is decent, but man, those old NA-NB Miata's have really direct, connected shifters! Better than most modern (read: watered down) cars by my estimation.

Again, I'm planning on taking my sweet time and saving up plenty of cash in advance... but if any of you guys happen to run across a sweet deal on an early NB, please feel free to share. :D

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:14

There's too many good options out there... I just had a stark realization. For the amount of money people are asking for NB Miata's, I could also pickup an E36 M3.... which, makes it less of a cut-and-dry proposition. I hadn't realized just how much prices on the older M3's have gone down.

CMZC opinions?

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:14

E36 M3 would be a fun car too. How is the ease of DIY and the expense of aftermarket for them though? It would seem a Miata would ultimately be more inexpensive. That said, I haven't priced NBs. I simply took the cheapest Miata I could find when I received spousal approval. Had to strike while the iron was hot.

I'll be honest, though. If given the choice between the two at the same pricepoint, I'd go M3, potential headaches be damned!
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Return to “Car Chat”