From Synapse to Forge

General Car Related Discussion
~Barn~

WTT - Want to trade (was: "From Synapse to Forge")

Postby ~Barn~ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14

Editing this post slighty to see if anybody in the cloud'o'sphere wants to trade across for BPVs.

So I'm considering swapping over my Synapse BVP for one made by Forge. There are a variety of reasons I want to do this, but I'm also a bit hesitant. My main concern here is the following...

When I first swapped over my OEM valve for the one made by Synapse, I had a vacuum line that need to be tapped from the Synapse, routing back back to (what I think is called) the hot pipe. This line did not exist with my OEM valve. It's been explained to me before, but I can't recall the purpose.

Anyhow... Since the Forge piece says that it has "an identical configuration to the OEM valve", I'm afraid that I'll now have a line tapped into my hot pipe that has nowhere to go, if there's no equivalent nipple on the Forge piece.

Anybody have any thoughts?
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14

You can get a new boost tube. You can get one pretty cheap at CXRacing.com. Just need to know the right size and angle(if any).
Image Image

~Barn~

Been trying to navigate around the CXRacing site, but getting a lot of web/page errors.

From what you're saying though, it sounds like you're confirming my suspicions. What is special about the Synapse, that it requires that new line be tapped?

Anybody here actually have the Forge piece?
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14

I actually have Forge too. No tap required. So, you will need a new pipe if you want to switch.
Image Image

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14

Noooooo! ha ha

JP at edge autosport can get you the pipe. Easiest thing to do is to swap it out...unless you want to go ghetto and block it off.

I researched the Forge, because I liked the stock look and stout build. Other than that, there didn't seem to be any advantages to it. On top of that, with your mods and the boost you seem to be putting through it-- I'd suggest sticking with the Synapse. But of course, I'm jaded;)
one and one makes two, together we are free

~Barn~

Thanks for the feedback guys.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14

I've heard good things about the 'new' (newer?) Cobb bpv...if you're looking for a change. I also like the revised Synapse offering; much smaller.

Those would be the two I'd use...if it were me...which its not.
one and one makes two, together we are free

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14

The Forge will be just fine for you if you decide to go that route. Your options are to either cap off the new nipple on the hot pipe, or to just get a new hot pipe. It's just a small hose and lots of vendors sell new ones. Unfortunately, you can usually only get them as a pair. You could also try the dealer as just buying the one tube might actually be cheaper from the dealer.

http://www.streetunit.com/SURE_Charge_Tubes_in_SURE_Blue_p/sure0201-3.htm

I wouldn't worry about you having too much boost for the Forge to work properly. It will handle your boost levels just fine.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14

Thanks again fellas. The basic reason for the desire to change is that I'm getting BPV "flutter" again, and I noticed that one of valve nipples on the Synapse had started to wiggle loose. I tightened it back down (and checked the other), but I'm still having the flutter symptom. I also noticed (despite having addressed this before), that I'm starting to get hood-rub on one of my hoses again. It hasn't worn a hole through yet, but I'm guessing it'll be in the mail. Long-story-short, I think the Synapse is just too big to fit ideally. It seems to always be the trouble-spot, whenever something funky starts happening.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

rmeeker13

Postby rmeeker13 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14

I ran a Forge valve for awhile a couple of years ago. Valve works great, sounds a bit funny but never had any compressor surge issues like I had with the synapse and HKS. I have a brand new blue corksport hot pipe(boost tube) if you want it.
GT28-COBB AP-COBB SRI-TURBOSMART EBOOST2 EBC-JBR SSP-CP-E DP-CP-E INLET-CP-E 3'' CB-ETS IC-DNP MANI-TIAL 44MM EWG-OEM BPV-AWR RRM-SURE DREADNAUGHT-EIBACH SL SPRINGS-KONIG ZERO'S-GREDDY OCC-NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14

^^ Jump on that!
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0

2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:14

Wow Randy, thank would be great! Do you still live up North?
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14

TTT

Edited the content and Title of my #1 post, to offer up a Want to trade. My Synapse straight across for a Forge piece. Oddly, when I view the thread in the All Mazdaspeed forum, it's not changed, only when it's the now-viewing thread. Any Mods out there, that can do this for me, or allow me the ability?
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:14

You might have already found a new boost tube... but incase you didn't.
From the MSF,
the hot side is 2" diameter with 45 degree angle
the cold side is 2.75" with 90 degree angle

If you go to CXRacing.com then go to Silcon Hose & Clamp > Silicon Elbow Hose... there's a 2" 45 degree for $19.
Image Image

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:14

I`m Batman wrote:You might have already found a new boost tube... but incase you didn't.
From the MSF,
the hot side is 2" diameter with 45 degree angle
the cold side is 2.75" with 90 degree angle

If you go to CXRacing.com then go to Silcon Hose & Clamp > Silicon Elbow Hose... there's a 2" 45 degree for $19.

Thanks Metha. I'm waiting to hear back from Randy before I move on anything, but I'll keep this in mind. As much as I'd like to see how things change with a swapped BPV, I have to admit that I'm totally bastardizing the hot-side hose. Because of the different TMIC you helped me put on, and the other different bits of plumbing that I've swapped out over the years (in particular the T.I.H if I'm not mistaken), the OEM hot tube has been chopped&screwed to death. To call it a "sloppy" fit, would be an understatement. It's probably leaking like a sieve.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

Return to “Car Chat”