5.0 on the Dyno

General Car Related Discussion
roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:14

erod550 wrote:I don't think it picked up much power after break-in. Which gears did the one you test drove have? If it wasn't specified it's got the 3.31s and I hear people at sea level even saying it feels kind of gutless, while the people who got the 3.73s rave about them. I have the 3.55s and at times it does feel kind of slow (relatively speaking, of course), but I'm also still learning to drive it. It's a totally different feel from my last couple cars. You can't drive it like a turbo car. As you can see by the graph at 3000rpm it doesn't have that much power. You have to rev this motor to get power out of it. In my MS3 if I punched it at 3k it went. All the torque was there like right now. I don't get that feeling in the Mustang until above 4k.

I'll be raising my redline to at least 7200 (stock is 7000). This graph ends at 6500 because we hit the speed limiter in 5th (~145mph). 5th is the 1:1 gear so that's why we used that one, but it does end up moving pretty quickly at high rpms in 5th, heh. But they are still making power above 7000 and with the intake manifold from the 2012 Boss 302 the power doesn't even drop off going all the way to 7500+. With the stock intake manifold the power does start to drop off a little after ~6500.

I have ordered the first couple parts and will hopefully be able to order the programmer soon. Can't put anything on until I get that. Just waiting on the rep from AmericanMuscle.com to PM me back with a 6% discount code for forum members on a couple other forums. I do plan on doing shorter gears also. It's going to be a really fun car very soon. ;)

I honestly don't know what gears it had in it, as I didn't pay too much attention to the window sticker. I'll have to pay closer attention the next time I take one for a spin.

That's kind of nuts that you guys dyno'd in 5th!! Nice! Were all of your runs in 5th, or did you make a pull in 4th as well? If so, any difference?

You have a fairly smooth curve there, doesn't look like it's pulling timing anywhere, so if you're dynoing in 5th at 145mph, that's a real testament to your stock cooling system. Good stuff to say the least.

Good luck with the mods buddy!
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

erod550

Postby erod550 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:14

Of the 3 runs, the first one was in 4th and the 2nd and 3rd (the best one) were in 5th. Here they are overlayed, and you can see how the one in 4th got to rev higher while the runs in 5th hit the speed limiter.

I would love to get a ride in your car too. I love the 335s and would have loved to get one instead of the Mustang but it's a bit harder to get good interest rates on used cars and I may not have been able to roll over the extra from my MS3 as easily as on a brand new car I was getting for 5k under MSRP. I'm very happy with the Mustang so far though, just wish I could drive it in the snow, something I could do with a 335xi. Very anxious to get some stuff done to it and get back on the dyno and get to the track here in a couple months and see what it is capable of.

2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:14

erod550 wrote:Of the 3 runs, the first one was in 4th and the 2nd and 3rd (the best one) were in 5th. Here they are overlayed, and you can see how the one in 4th got to rev higher while the runs in 5th hit the speed limiter.

I would love to get a ride in your car too. I love the 335s and would have loved to get one instead of the Mustang but it's a bit harder to get good interest rates on used cars and I may not have been able to roll over the extra from my MS3 as easily as on a brand new car I was getting for 5k under MSRP. I'm very happy with the Mustang so far though, just wish I could drive it in the snow, something I could do with a 335xi. Very anxious to get some stuff done to it and get back on the dyno and get to the track here in a couple months and see what it is capable of.

Not too much of a difference in the power output based on gears there, although the higher load of 5th pulled a couple more ponies.

Honestly buddy, when it comes to interest rates, I bought my 335xi certified pre-owned, and at the time, BMW was giving out 2.9% interest for 60 months (not sure if they're still doing that...), that combined with picking it up for about ~$3k under book, and BMW giving an extra 2 years/50k miles onto the warranty of their CPO vehicles, I couldn't pass it up to say the least. Although, I didn't have any negative equity to roll over (I actually had a bit of positive equity on my G37x, I bought that car right), but at the same time, I only paid a total of about ~$70 in taxes (owed about the same on the Infiniti as I they gave me my Bimmer for, so I didn't hardly pay shit in taxes haha), and Schomp didn't have any dealer handling or other associated fees, so if I would have had negative equity, with how far below book I was, I could have rolled it over easily... I really couldn't have asked for a better deal.

I won't lie, I'm sure BMW's AWD is pretty decent on its own, but the combo of AWD and BMW's DSC/DTC, this thing is incredibly stable/easy to control in the snow... I would go so far as to say in the snow, I prefer it over my old STI and MS6.... good enough that I haven't even bothered to buy snow tires, as the all-season run flats have been more than adequate. Although, much of the ease of control goes away if you turn DTC/DSC off haha (push button once to turn DTC off, hold it for 5 seconds to turn DSC off).

Either way, I'll have to make it out to a meet sometime, and I'll be more than happy to take you for a spin, and of course I'm looking forward to going for a ride in your 5.0 :D
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:14

That's how my AdvanceTrac traction control/stability control works. Press once for turning off traction control but leave stability control on, hold for about 7 seconds to turn everything off, or you can also press twice for Sport Mode. It does a decent job of keeping the tail end behind me when you're just barely going over the limit, but you can still get the car all sorts of out of whack if you really push it, heh. Found that out taking a turn a little too quickly in 3rd when it was about 35 degrees out. Summer tires weren't so grippy in the cold and the tail went out on me. Brought it back quickly, but it still reminded me that even with the AdvanceTrac on, I have to be a bit more careful with how I drive this car compared to my past FWDs.

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

*MS3~SNAIL*

Postby *MS3~SNAIL* » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14

Nice. Your car makes me feel all funny inside.
2010 MazdaSpeed3 Black Mica | Cobb AP | CS SRI/TIP [color=black]| CS Racepipe [/color]| CP-E 75 Duro RMM | 30% Tint all around [color=#000000]| Blacked out fog light trim and emblems [/color]| Radar detector tapped into HomeLink/Compass RVM | WeatherTech Floor Mats Front and Back | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

[color=blue]:D The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude. :D[/color]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14

Got the first couple mods on over the weekend. The intake went on easily, no problems. The x-pipe was a little more of a pain. First, exhaust parts are heavy and it's hard to maneuver them into place by yourself with the car on jackstands. Second, one of the bolts wasn't flat on the end so I couldn't get the nut to thread on straight and ended up crossthreading and getting the nut stuck, jacking up the threads, and eventually mangling the bolt all to hell. Took the pipe to Muffler Masters on Fillmore/Stone this morning and they popped the bad bolt out and welded a new one in including a nut and lock washer for $5. Highly recommend them for exhaust work if anyone needs it.

So anyway, finally got it all on there and loaded up the Bama tune. It had already started snowing so I couldn't really get on it but I have to say it sounds much better with the x-pipe. Much deeper and throatier sound. New mufflers come Wednesday and then it is going to sound awesome. I told my wife this car is going to affect my looks... it's going to give me smile lines from having a sh*t-eating grin on my face every time I drive it. :D

Can't wait for this snow to go away so I can do a butt dyno test.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

coloskydiver

Postby coloskydiver » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:14

That's awesome Eric. Post up some pics if you got them. I would be interested in seeing how the intake looks and the new X pipe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2005 Nissan Nismo Frontier-Supercharged- SOLD
2006 Speed 6- SOLD
2008 Scion Xd- SOLD
1990 Miata- SuperCharged 331 Fuel Injected Small Block Ford V8-SOLD
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty- Current
2014 Factory Five 818S- In Progress

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14

cool, I'm going to need to get a ride in this car.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14

Didn't get a chance to get a pic of the x-pipe from underneath the car but here it is before I installed it.

And a pic of the engine bay with the intake installed

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14

The roads cleared up surprisingly quick today so I took it out for a spin. They sent me 3 e-tunes, Street, Performance, and Race, with increasing aggressiveness as the names would suggest. I flashed the Performance tune and did all the idle calibration you're supposed to do, which is just let it idle up to temp, then run the AC full blast for 2 min, then go drive it around for 10 miles.

I still couldn't get really aggressive with it on the street because there is sand everywhere, but initial impressions are very good. The car sounds so much better with the intake and x-pipe when you get on it. It's still very quiet at idle but the mufflers which come tomorrow should fix that.

80mph comes VERY quickly. I was thinking of holding off on the gear installation but as fast as you end up going after going through 2nd and 3rd, I think it would be more fun to have the gears on so I could actually do a 2nd gear pull and a little of 3rd without going way over the speed limit even in a 65mph zone. Plus it would make 2nd and 3rd pull that much harder. Yes I know that will get me to 80mph even faster, but it will be more fun to drive I think since I'll be able to use more than just 2nd gear when I want to go fast. So I will look into getting those installed very soon. I have a guy that's going to do it, just need to set up a time to drop it off with him for a day.

Can't wait for the track to open so I can flash up the race tune and see what this thing can do. Still have some wheel hop issues but I have a set of lower control arms I have yet to install that should help with that.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

coloskydiver

Postby coloskydiver » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14

That is so cool. I am envious because those new 5.0 are so sweet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 Speed 6- SOLD
2008 Scion Xd- SOLD

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14

Got the Flowmaster Hushpower mufflers on. Man does this thing sound good now.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

coloskydiver

Postby coloskydiver » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14

Lets hear it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 Speed 6- SOLD
2008 Scion Xd- SOLD

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14

I will take a video this weekend. I took videos of a cold start stock and another after the x-pipe went on. Now I'll do one with the Hushpowers on and then make it into one long comparison video and post it up.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

*MS3~SNAIL*

Postby *MS3~SNAIL* » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14

Sounds good...looking forward to it.
2010 MazdaSpeed3 Black Mica | Cobb AP | CS SRI/TIP [color=black]| CS Racepipe [/color]| CP-E 75 Duro RMM | 30% Tint all around [color=#000000]| Blacked out fog light trim and emblems [/color]| Radar detector tapped into HomeLink/Compass RVM | WeatherTech Floor Mats Front and Back | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

[color=blue]:D The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude. :D[/color]

Return to “Car Chat”