Damn Transfer Case

General Car Related Discussion
bobopud

Damn Transfer Case

Postby bobopud » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14

Well, went in for an oil change and the guy came back an hour later asking if I had an extended warranty on the car.

My response, "F*CK!".

Turns out my transfer case is leaking. Guy said it would be about $1500 to fix. I was wondering if anyone else has had this done out of warranty and what the cost is. $1500 seemed high to me, but after some research there is a lot of time that goes into this fix, so that is mostly a labor quote.

Anybody got better numbers?
2006 SPEED6 Liquid Platinum Sport w/ Nav
Mods Completed - VG Sharkfin, 3M Clear Bra, SU Motor Mount, SU Test Pipe, 35% tint, VEI Digital Boost Gauge, Custom Defrost Vent Pod, PG Exhaust Manifold, CPE Turbo Inlet Pipe, CPE FMIC, Hacked Mazdaspeed CAI into SRI, Synapse BOV, Cobb Accessport EMS Tuner, CPE Dual 3" Catback Exhaust
Mods Needed - Catted Downpipe and finally a tune.

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14

Not too long ago, I had my front "PTO" re-sealed at Groove. It too, was leaking and out of warranty. I don't know if we're talking about the same part here, but check out this thread.

I was able to get Mazda to cover 1/3 of the cost, and from what I remember I paid about $500.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

Regulator

Postby Regulator » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14

I had the exact same problem a while back. Took my car in for an oil change and they noticed that my transfer case was leaking.

I'm looking at my receipt of service at sill-terhar motors and it looks like they dropped the transfer case, removed sealant, inspected it, resealed it, put new oil in it. Total charge came up to $444 for me. 4 1/2 hours of service time. Wish you luck!
[color="Silver"]Old: 2004 Mazda6, 2006 MS6[/color]
New: 2010 EVO X MR - 400hp, 360tq

bobopud

Postby bobopud » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14

Well, I am taking the car to Pro 1 Auto Care off Santa Fe and Bowles tomorrow morning. They looked the car over and confirmed the transfer case leak as well as a leak in the shifter housing. Both fixes require a lot of labor and about $50 in parts. While they are at it I told them to have a clutch waiting in case my clutch is toast or near toast.

Total quote comes out to $1500. I also have a coupon for 15% off labor, so that will cover tax I guess.

Of the two leaks the shifter housing was by far the worst. There was a pool of gear oil sitting on top of the housing. Of course, the design requires pulling the entire housing to get at the seal.
2006 SPEED6 Liquid Platinum Sport w/ Nav
Mods Completed - VG Sharkfin, 3M Clear Bra, SU Motor Mount, SU Test Pipe, 35% tint, VEI Digital Boost Gauge, Custom Defrost Vent Pod, PG Exhaust Manifold, CPE Turbo Inlet Pipe, CPE FMIC, Hacked Mazdaspeed CAI into SRI, Synapse BOV, Cobb Accessport EMS Tuner, CPE Dual 3" Catback Exhaust
Mods Needed - Catted Downpipe and finally a tune.

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:14

I just dropped $1500 (well $1485) on the transfer case on my Explorer. The rear output seal was leaking. I tried to do it myself but I couldn't get the nut holding the output flange off. I took it to All American 4x4 on Sante Fe in HR. Turns out the bearing had scored the bearing raceway and resulted in excessive bearing play. They put in a new, redesigned rear transfer case cover.

It sucked.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:14

Damn, that sucks. I keep thinking about trading the MS6 soon so I can avoid all this *** pain.
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

Return to “Car Chat”