Trouble Code: P2187 Lean at Idle

General Car Related Discussion
movovr

Trouble Code: P2187 Lean at Idle

Postby movovr » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:14

Ok, so I got my other CEL figured out (Throttle Actualtor Control Motor Circuit Open) as it was my PnP harness for my SB. I had my car in to MoL and they found no other issues with my car and it was running again. The only thing they did while I was there was reflash my ECU after doing an OBDII voluntary emission recall service. Immediately upon leaving, my car has been running rough at idle and lean. I thought my AFR's were messed up b/c of the reflash, and my fuel trims would eventually catch up with my mods. Anyway, within a day I get p2187 trouble code and have not been able to figure it out. I thought I possibly had a vacuum leak so went through EVERY vacuum line on the car, including tightening the lines to my OCC. The result? Absolutely no change, car is still running lean at idle (16's) and is fine one I start driving.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I found this TSB and had asked Clark at STH about it in the past. He said my car, although 2007, does not fall under this TSB???

2007 MAZDA MAZDASPEED3 Technical Service Bulletin

NHTSA Item Number:10024864 Service Bulletin #:01-022/08 Replacement #: Vehicle/Equipment Make:MAZDA Vehicle/Eqipment Model:MAZDASPEED3 Model Year:2007 Mfg Component Code:103100 POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM) Date of Bulletin:2008-04-02 Date Added:2008-06-03 Summary:ROUGH IDLE, LACK OF POWER, AND/OR MIL ON WITH DTC P2177/P2187 (FUEL SYSTEM LEAN). *NJ

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14

Don't worry about it. honestly its not an issue, happens on almost all speeds with SB. You can richen up your idle in your maps ask jordan how to do it or come meet me somewhere with a laptop... its rather easy to fix.
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

movovr

Postby movovr » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14

SpeedRacer wrote:Don't worry about it. honestly its not an issue, happens on almost all speeds with SB. You can richen up your idle in your maps ask jordan how to do it or come meet me somewhere with a laptop... its rather easy to fix.

Unfortunately SB is off the car currently. I had to send my PnP harness back to cp-e for replacement. I'm hoping Jordan turns it around quickly for me.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14

If you're really concerned about it, you could always do a vacuum leak test, pretty cheap & simple to do. See if there's a leak anywhere that would cause an issue with close loop idling. Had an issue with my LTFC's being off a while ago, car had a bit of a rough idle, ect, found a leak at my turbo inlet hose. Fixed leak, idle is perfect, bounces between 14.6-14.8:1 just like it should :)

Another thing that could cause an idle issue, could be your O2 sensor, as technically it's what "controls" your close loop fuel trims. Might be something to look into. You can tune around it, which will relieve your issue, however IMO it's kind of like putting on a band aid rather than fixing the problem. Just my $.02

Hope you get this resolved, have a good one!
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

movovr

Postby movovr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14

Thanks man. I pressurized the whole system at my intake and couldn't detect any leaks. I thought I heard a very slight hissing sound coming from the general vicinity of my OCC, but I think I was wanting to hear something. I checked everything after the turbo and nothing, everything is tight. I did not check my turbo inlet however. I talked to STH this morning and they said it could be a stuck PCV valve. He asked me to return my intake and turbo inlet to stock and they would look at it. I'm going to do that tonight, and I unless I find something loose/leaking along the way, I'll head in for what is hopefully a warrantied repair. Or at least they can help me identify the issue.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14

If you're having a hard time finding a small leak, not sure how you're pressurizing it, but I would recommend a smoke test. It pressurizes system with smoke... look for smoke, and voila :)

Either way, hope you get everything handled!

movovr

You know someone who has one?

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14

movovr wrote:You know someone who has one?

Unfortunately not :(

Except for most dealerships & repair shops, but obviously there's a charge involved.

movovr

Thanks man, I'm heading in to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can find the issue. I'm convinced it's my PCV valve.

Rich

Postby Rich » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14

A P2187 is usually caused by a CAI. As Josh said, the code doesn't really matter. It won't affect anything, and should go away after a certain number of ignition cycles. I'm sure the recall flash had something to do with it, but it's too late now. Fuel can be added with the SB software once you get it back on, but it's kinda unnecessary. I'd say best thing you can do is get the car fully tuned.

movovr

Postby movovr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14

I don't have a CAI. I don't see how the code could not matter? I'm driving along with my AFR's spot on at 14.7 until I come to a light. As soon as I idle, the AFR's immediately jump up to 16's even 17's sometimes and my exhaust starts to smoke (pretty bad sometimes) Here is my understanding of what might be happening.
Everyone knows the PCV valve on the crank case has issues on these cars. There is this TSB for my model year car addressing rough idle and this particular trouble code. So, if the PCV valve is in fact stuck open, then it causes my AFR's to get jacked up at idle and runs lean, then not enough vacuum is present at idle which is required to pull the oil from the return line, if the oil is pulled away from the exhaust side of the turbo it sits there and burns hence the smoke.
Correct?
I have the stock airbox and inlet on the car and it still happens....
Thoughts?

Return to “Car Chat”