Excessive blow-by New Speed 3?!

General Car Related Discussion
WINGSPD

Postby WINGSPD » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14

Dear members or lurkers, I recently purchased a brand new Mazdaspeed 3 2008.5 and have a few concerns about the operating conditions and attributes of this vehicle. At the top of that list is the extreme volume of blow-by that I have found creating high crankcase pressure at idle. I only have about 1200 miles on this vehicle,and they have, for the most part, been gentle. I am trying to break it in properly. I am not someone who can afford to do things wrong many times. I thought that this symptom could be due to the rings still needing to seat, but I am concerned; as the power also is erratic and does not feel up to par. Please relay any knowledge or suggestions as to what might be the cause so that I can sleep at night. Thank you.

Rich

Postby Rich » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14

Haven't heard of anyone else getting these symptoms. Take it straight in to the dealer to avoid future problems!

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14

X2. Have the dealer check it out. Something sounds wrong. Still stock, I assume?
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

WINGSPD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich @ Jul 17 2008, 08:02 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=56828]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Haven't heard of anyone else getting these symptoms. Take it straight in to the dealer to avoid future problems![/b]

Rich, Thanks for the reply. I don't want to be the guy who cries "Wolf" at the dealership; so I would like to have some first hand knowledge of other's Speed 3 blow-by and power; maybe by meeting some of you and examining each other's vehicles. I would like to give it a few more days for other written responses as well. Please don't think I'm disregarding your advice; ... just want to gather more knowledge before leaping to the dealership. Thanks again.
Other readers, Please post your advice as well. I am a bit hard-headed.

WINGSPD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stealth01 @ Jul 17 2008, 08:29 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=56829]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
X2. Have the dealer check it out. Something sounds wrong. Still stock, I assume?[/b]

Thank you as well Stealth01. Definately still stock. I don't want to give the dealership/Mazda any reason to void the warranty in case there are actual problems. This is why I plan to take good care of this vehicle; especially until the warranty runs it's course. Until I can see some other owners vehicles first hand to experience their blow-by and their power output, I will remain cautious about jumping the gun and being a hypochondriac at the dealership. Thank you, and keep 'em coming.

Billman

Postby Billman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14

I agree with Rich and Stealth01, take it back to the dealer. You are not crying wolf. If you feel something is wrong, then they need to check it out for you. It's their job. Besides if there is something really wrong, it would be better to have it addressed sooner rather than later.

My 07 Speed pulls through its full RPM range until it flattens out on top, and has since I bought it 8 months ago with 125 miles on it (now at 15,000). Which is one of the many reasons I love it.

WINGSPD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Billman @ Jul 17 2008, 09:09 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=56837]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I agree with Rich and Stealth01, take it back to the dealer. You are not crying wolf. If you feel something is wrong, then they need to check it out for you. It's their job. Besides if there is something really wrong, it would be better to have it addressed sooner rather than later.

My 07 Speed pulls through its full RPM range until it flattens out on top, and has since I bought it 8 months ago with 125 miles on it (now at 15,000). Which is one of the many reasons I love it.[/b]

Wow, that's three for three responses saying that I should take it to the dealer to have them check it. The weekend is here for all intensive purposes, and perhaps I could meet someone else who owns a Speed 3 this weekend to make a comparison and then arrange for a check-up at the dealership next week, if it is warranted. Thank you for your reply Billman.
Any body in the Front range that might be available some time this weekend for a "you show me your's and I'll show you mine"? Please keep the context of this quote in mind. :6a434460:

Rich

Are you throwing a CEL? If so, have you had it read? And what dealer did you buy from?

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14

Well, they're likely to have other MS3s at the dealership, and IMHO, you're more likely to get an apples to apples comparison that way, since members' MS3s are going to be a) broken in, and b ) possibly not stock. However, you can probably find out when the next meet is in your area. Are you south or north?
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

WINGSPD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich @ Jul 17 2008, 09:39 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=56844]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Are you throwing a CEL? If so, have you had it read? And what dealer did you buy from?[/b]

No Check Engine Light, no serious sputtering or anything, just acts like there is a shortage of fuel when under full load. I have read that there have been problems with the high pressure fuel pumps that just cannot keep up with the fuel demands. I had another car for which I built the engine, that was carbureted; the fuel pump could not keep the bowl full under full load and the power was starved. I get this same sensation with this car. A half second of strong impulse which fades almost instantly to a less than stellar pull. I am determined to check at least one other mazdaspeed 3 that someone feels is running well so that I don't run off to the dealer with an imagined problem. Maybe these cars don't have th zoom zoom that I expected. Somebody prove me wrong. Thanks Rich.
I would like to keep my dealer anonymous at this time as I don't want to make any negative connections with their name until it proves necessary.

Rich

Well, the Speed3 and Speed6 are known to have unstable fuel systems, but that usually becomes apparent during modding. Your determination is apparent, and slightly concerning. We're not used to our members being so insistent, especially on the first day they join. How did you hear about this club? I'm just curious :) The best way to meet up with someone is to make our weekly meet on Sunday nights....there will be plenty of Speed3s there. For further info on the weekly meet, please consult a moderator. Oh, and welcome to the club :)

Rich

One more thing, the 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo runs fairly high compression for a turbo motor. Are you concerned about the MAP sensor reading? Are you running a Dashawk? How do you know you are getting blow-by in your crankcase? Have you removed the head, or is your exhaust filled with white smoke? I haven't heard of anyone with bad rings or a damaged cylinder wall that would allow for blow-by.

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14

WINGSPD, the next meet is on Green Mountain at the Sonic off Alameda (just north of Green Mountain High School), we meet at 6:30 and then cruise around 8:30. There will be at least 2 or 3 MS3's at this Sunday's meet. Welcome to the club, hopefully we will meet you and your MS3 on Sunday. Let me know if you need more information :)

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14

With the weekend fast approaching, the best place to guarantee a good turnout of other MS3's is going to be at the weekly sonic meet in Lakewood. The sonic is off Alameda.

12820 W . ALAMEDA PKWY
LAKEWOOD, CO 80228

I personally have never heard of such problems from any MS3, let alone a brand new one. From any of the forum boards this has never to my knowledge been discussed. I would have to agree with the others and say your best course of action is to take it to the dealer and have one of the techs look it over and maybe ride with you and compare between yours and a new one on the lot.

I would help but am not stock so the comparison wouldn't be fair/right.
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

WINGSPD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rich @ Jul 17 2008, 10:27 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=56852]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
One more thing, the 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo runs fairly high compression for a turbo motor. Are you concerned about the MAP sensor reading? Are you running a Dashawk? How do you know you are getting blow-by in your crankcase? Have you removed the head, or is your exhaust filled with white smoke? I haven't heard of anyone with bad rings or a damaged cylinder wall that would allow for blow-by.[/b]

Hi Rich, Thanks for your concern. I hope I don't seem creepy. I normally don't join forums as I don't type very quickly and am not particulary computer saavy. I have only ever posted in one other forum, an audio site asking questions about another product I purchased. I took the effort to join CMZC because of my concerns with what is the most expensive purchase I have made, other than my house.
I know about the blow-by because I unscrewed the oil filler cap, when the engine was idling, and was promptly sprayed with the hot oil when I opened it to have a peek. There was a considerable current of airflow out through the filler hole that I can only assume is combustion gasses squeezing past the rings.
No smoke that I am aware of, but I haven't been focussing my attention to the atmosphere in my rear view mirror while driving, as I am just getting use to this vehicle.
I think I would like to have a Dashawk; they seem to provide an amazing amount of useful data and I am under the impression that they aren't that expensive. It might help me recognize or diagnose problems, help me extract the highest performance, or may provide information for others if repairs are necessary.
I found out about this site from a sales guy at the dealership and stumbled across it as well when google searching the car prior to purchase. Thank you again for your information. I am persistent; and "a little hard-headed" may be an understatement.

Return to “Car Chat”