M3 vs MS3

General Car Related Discussion
geo2maz

M3 vs MS3

Postby geo2maz » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14

So, stupid question,
Has anyone here gone from a MS3 to a regular M3?

If so, what was your reason for doing so?
Are you happy?

I loved the MS3 except for the really really really bad gas mileage.
Is that because it was modded? Or are all MS3's that bad?

I've test-driven lots of regular M3's, but haven't since the MS3,
I'm wondering if in the future, I should settle for better gas mileage, or for speed? :cool:

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14

First off, I assume you're talking about the Mazda 3, not the BMW M3...

Second, the mileage on the MS3 isn't that bad, really. Turbocharged cars will always be guzzlers when compared to the same engine with natural aspiration, but overall the MS3 isn't bad on gas.

What to do? Depends what you're looking for in a car.
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14

I went from an automatic Mazda6 GT to a Speed3 and got considerable better gas mileage (on average 5-9 mpg better than the 6). Dont get me wrong though, I can get bad mileage on the Speed too...just depends on my mood! I know you asked about the Mazda3 but I still have to share my experience. In addition, I notice when I stay out of boost my gas mileage is roughly 4-6 miles per gallon better. I cannot imagine myself going NA after I have had a turbocharged engine, but thats my personality.

I would suggest writing out a list of what you need your car to do (not what you want, but what you need) and see what car suits your needs best. Then weigh in the personal 'wants'. What do you see?

Originalguy

Postby Originalguy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14

one thing to help gas mileage is to, when simply getting groceries or something, stay low in the rpm band and shift early around 2500 rpm's because the car has enough power to get itself moving and drive fine in low revs but if you need to pass someone or just bust a ricer then downshift and let your turbo loose.
Mazdaspeed FTW
I make yellow lights my bitch.

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14

I had a regular 3 for a long time before I was able to get a speed. At first, I didn't mind the 3 at all! It was fun to drive, handled great, good gas mileage, and more. But after a while I started wanting more, which basically meant a new car as there were just about ZERO aftermarket items for it. So I went the other routt and just made it look as good/unique as I could, but that didn't replace the overwhelming desire to go faster.

I agree w/ what other have said, if you can stay outa boost, which is entirely feasible in our cars, than the gas mileage isn't that bad, plus you have that to tap into any time you want. Personally now that I have a boosted car, I don't think I can ever go back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

roninspeed3

Postby roninspeed3 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14

I average 24-27 with my MS3. My record is 33 mpg coming back from Salt Lake this fall (all on highway). That was calculated at the pump, not via the on board computer. With that mpg vs. the performance, I really can't see going NA personally.....
2008.5 MS3 GT (Metro Grey)
Custom install-Parrot MKi9200
Garmin 1350T
Speed 3 CAI
TurboSmart BOV
VEI Vent Mount Boost Gauge
Yokohama W Drive - Winter
Mats and Cargo liner
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14

It's not WHAT you drive... it's HOW you drive...

I too, get around 25-27 mpg (city) if I play nice.
Image Image

Originalguy

Postby Originalguy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14

I get upwards of 28-30mpg just driving in town
Mazdaspeed FTW

I make yellow lights my bitch.

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14

Getting into a performance car and concerning yourself with gas mileage, is tantamount to buying a sportbike, and wondering if it's comfortable.

I'm not trying to clown on you, but I'm just sayin'...

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:14

I drive about 65% highway 35% city and I have averaged 25.8mpg since buying my Speed3. On the highway I'm not usually doing less than 80 and I don't try to get good gas mileage in the city usually. I'm pretty happy with the gas mileage actually. Not quite as good as the 28mpg I averaged in my SRT-4 but I don't have any breather mods yet either which should help in that department. Incidentally the few times traffic or weather has dictated a constant 60-65mph on my way to work I have averaged over 30mpg. The extra time taken along with having to deal with everyone passing me and cutting me off, however, is not worth the extra 3 or 4mpg to me to do that all the time.

After having a boosted car for the last 4+ years, there is NO WAY I could ever go back to a slow car like the regular Mazda3. They are peppy and fun to drive for what they are, but I can't go backwards on the food chain if you know what I mean, hehe.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

geo2maz

Postby geo2maz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14

Sweet, thanks for the feedback!

Good to hear some of you are getting good mpg's,
I will definitely be getting back into a speed3 asap :)

..impatiently waiting..

GTConversion

Postby GTConversion » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14

With my sticker 18-25 mpg but really 10 mpg NA in the RX-8, I'm really jealous right now.

*DarthRX8*

Postby *DarthRX8* » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14

10mpg! YIKES!!!

I usually get around 16 even when I am hard on the gas for the week.

Return to “Car Chat”