stolen cars and insurance

General Car Related Discussion
COSpeed3

stolen cars and insurance

Postby COSpeed3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14

Anyone on here work for Progressive or other insurance co?
or
a Lawyer that deals with stolen cars and insurance co.?

One of the first questions i was ask was there any aftermarket parts on the car and send them all records of any work. i found records for 95% of the parts and work. but something she said made it sound like they werent going to cover the parts. why would i need to give this info if they're that going to cover the parts? also i got some paperwork from them today. one of the things was a POWER OF ATTORNEY for the car. i dont want to sign this until i know whats going. i'm 12k+ into this car with parts and labor and i feel if i sign this i'm going to be out that. i dont know what to do...
[SIZE="1"]BC Racing- Adjustable Coilover Kit
Cobb–Access PORT
Cork Sport-FMIC,Intake,Inlet
Denso-Iridium Spark Plugs HR:8
DG Motorsports-Carbon Fiber Engine Cover
Edge-Insight CS Scan Tool
Innovate-LC1 Wideband Gauge
Luminics-Fog,High Beams
MSR Wheels-045 Black w/ red stripe
Pro Sport-Carbon Fiber Emergency Brake Handle,Carbon Fiber Hood Damper
RPM-Vent Pod
Sure Motorsports-Return Recirculation Tube,Engine Mount,Anchors,Counter Shift weight,ShortCut
Turbo Smart-Dual Port BOV
Turbo XS-TBE[/SIZE]

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14

I have Progressive and I was told with full coverage insurance you automatically get $1000 in custom parts coverage, and can add up to another $9,000 (for a total of $10,000) in custom parts coverage, but this is something you need to physically do within the policy. You can insure it for more but after that you must insure the car for a "as stated value" so you essentially enter a number the car is worth (car + parts, not retail value). I was also told you MUST have receipts for the parts (I don't think labor is included). Ever since I heard this information I have kept a receipt for every car part I've purchased as a e-receipt (since most of my purchases are from online vendors) on my computer, and backed up to a hard drive.

That's all the info I have, I would try to contact a lawyer or a council group to help you.
:eek:

Justin

Postby Justin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14

Most insurance companies won't cover aftermarket parts without an additional rider. Talk to a lawyer, but you're probably at least partly out of luck. You can try to make an argument about your car being in really nice shape as a result of you TLC to get a little more.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:14

Yea chances are you are not going to get compensated for your aftermarket parts unless you had added an extra amount specifically for that onto your policy.

I would be more worried about them not covering the car at all since you left it running with the keys in it than about a few extra aftermarket parts.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “Car Chat”